cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP traps from other NON Extreme/Enterasys devices

SNMP traps from other NON Extreme/Enterasys devices

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I have a need to accept SNMP traps from a Cisco ASA and ASR. All works fine, however, since I don't have the MIBs loaded, it doesn't seem to give me a descriptive trap and it's something difficult to decipher. I have tried loading MIBs into NetSights mymibs directory etc... including some of the mibs that looked to include trap definitions, but it never works. Can this actually be done?
3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
To my knowledge, yes 🙂

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Okay, so if I can treat it like a standard snmpd server that is running snmptrapd? If so, I can just configure it that way as you said with the trapd.conf file.

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
Hi Jeremy,

You'll need to define the traps in the trapd.conf file per the following:

"How to Add Trap DefinitionsYou can add trap definitions that can trigger Alarms, which can be configured to take a specific action, such as running a program or automatically sending e-mail messages. Trap definitions are added manually, using a text editor.

CAUTION:You should always save a copy of the trap definition file prior to editing and testing your new definitions.
To define a new trap:

1. Using your favorite text editor, open the trapd.conf file in the \services directory. This is a text file that can be edited to modify the severity levels for particular traps or add trap definitions to support devices.
  2. Add Event Definition using the format described in the trapd.conf file.
  3. Save the file."
Per the trapd.conf file here is the event definition format to be used:

###################################################################### Event Definitions
#
# Syntax:
# EVENT event_name event_OID category severity
# FORMAT format_string
# SDESC
# Description text
# EDESC
######################################################################

You'll have to define each trap you'd like manually unless you can get a traps definitions file from cisco that follows this format.

Thanks
-Ryan

GTM-P2G8KFN