Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Username Changes to Machine Hostname while Remote Desktop

Username Changes to Machine Hostname while Remote Desktop

mirza_aa
New Contributor
Hello Experts,

We have installed Extreme XMC with NAC module. We are doing user on boarding based on domain username and domain machine with dot1x authentcation. The switch port is configured for dot1x authentication and also policy is created on NAC to on board the user if it meets the criteria which is (domain user and domain machine).

The user on boarding works perfect after successfully authenticating for dot1x against the LDAP server and is allocated the appropriate VLAN as well.

The issue we are facing is if we Remote Desktops to the machine, instead of authenticating with the username, it shows up the remote machine host name as the username and since the policy is configured to validate using domain username it fails to onboard the machine.
4 REPLIES 4

daavidschmidt
New Contributor

Hello

I am facing the same problem. I found a way to resolve it, but I still don't know the impact. In the authentication settings of the network adapter, the option "user authentication" instead of "user and computer authentication" was configured. This way the user authentication remains active after the RDP connection.

Could anyone tell us the impact of this configuration?

Welrisel
New Contributor

Hmmm.. Thatā€™s an intersting issue that I havenā€™t encountered before. In the office we never faced such obstacles with our RDP service so far. If NAC is working properly then I think the nest idea would be into looking for an alternative RDP provider and see what works better for your needs. You can always try https://webpundits.in that has never created any issues for me, and itā€™s extremely reliable even in peak times. Of course that is if your problem still persists. Let me know if this service was of any help for you.

Brian_Anderson1
Contributor
Yes, been through this scenario before. NAC is functioning as designed, when a user uses RDC into their computer. The RDC session sends a log off or disconnect, I forget which and this causes the pc to login with its credentials, hence why you see it logged in as host/. Nothing can be done for it, other than not flipping vlans for those users. I believe you can use other remote software to access the pc, perhaps VNC or Teamviewer and the client device won't behave this way.
GTM-P2G8KFN