cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

XMC 8.2.4.42: Automated Backup of VOSS devices creates an local archive on VOSS, but XMC only saves the config files instead

XMC 8.2.4.42: Automated Backup of VOSS devices creates an local archive on VOSS, but XMC only saves the config files instead

MatzeKS
New Contributor III
Hi Guys,

I wonder why the automatic backup of all relevant files on VOSS devices via XMC creates a complete archive on the VOSS, but then finally only saves the config file in the XMC and not exactly the archive which is located on the VOSS device?
For the complete recovery of the VOSS device I need the archive, not only the config file. Within the XMC, there is no possibility to select here when creating the backup jobs, which is ultimately saved.

Did I miss something here or is it simply "works as designed"?

Thanx - Matthias

297f647235f943a2a829086d5c0a8bec_69cc51c7-369e-4a86-ae53-92ccfab0b6cd.png

297f647235f943a2a829086d5c0a8bec_cdcf9560-8a65-4999-8e63-b3da0f7983d2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Hi.

The fact the file is called CFG in the filesystem does not mean it is CFG. šŸ˜ž
If you check the file you will see it is TGZ = you can tar xfz the file and you will see there are more files.
If you do "View Configuration file" then the XMC does extract the config file for you = you see only the CLI config file...

I agree the CFG extension is confusing.

Regards
Regards Zdeněk Pala

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
If the goal is to restore the VSP from some disaster:
  • Step 1 = boot new VSP
  • Step 2 = configure IP and connectivity to XMC (SNMP, CLI)
  • Step 3 = use XMC to restore the archive
If the goal is to download the full archived file to external place, then you can use workflow/script feature to do it.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
I confirm. The download configuration file does download the configuration file only.

I agree it would be nice to have download the whole backup file (tgz).
Feel free to contact local Extreme System Engineer and work with him to create Feature Request with customer details...

The workaround today can be: workflow/script/manual file transfer

regards
Regards Zdeněk Pala

MatzeKS
New Contributor III
Hi Zdenek,

thanks for the reply - indeed the CFG extension is totally confusing, as well the option to "download" this archive to the client is completely missing and from my point of view needed and should be implemented.
In any case of disaster recovery of an faulty box, the archive is much more helpful instead of the config file.

XMC - Feature Request: Add option "Download Configuration Archive to Client"

āœŒ?

0f97f4248f004ababc7ee3c4434a5b53_2fe4f2b2-85d6-4609-a16e-546349cb7b00.png

0f97f4248f004ababc7ee3c4434a5b53_c9ae0472-46f4-4adb-a858-06496b6c8ef9.png

Thanx - Matthias

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Hi.

The fact the file is called CFG in the filesystem does not mean it is CFG. šŸ˜ž
If you check the file you will see it is TGZ = you can tar xfz the file and you will see there are more files.
If you do "View Configuration file" then the XMC does extract the config file for you = you see only the CLI config file...

I agree the CFG extension is confusing.

Regards
Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN