Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Server and Relay Question

DHCP Server and Relay Question

VicR
New Contributor
Hi there,

I am confused about the DHCP server and relay policy and I hope that someone here can clarify.
My aim is to have the AP get an IP from DHCP and use that same DHCP server to provide IP addresses to connected clients, regardless of which DHCP is in use. This is to ensure that the AP can provide network access to connected clients even if it were to be moved and connected to an entirely different network with a different DHCP server.

Looking through the DHCP policy it seems like you can only select a static DHCP server as the relay.

f62115cb8a8649c7b76e9e00993ab5bc.png
I have done some tests and it seems that no matter what you type in to the Primary DHCP Server field, the DHCP server that connected clients get an IP Address from is the same DHCP server that handed out an IP to the AP.

Is this a fallback procedure if the defined Primary DHCP Server is unreachable?
Might be a visual/ux thing but either way, some clarification would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Vic,

as far as I understand the KB article > https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000079335 you'd need to select another interface i.e. mgt1 so you don't end up in the same subnet as the AP.

-Ron
GTM-P2G8KFN