Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contributor - real or fake?

New Contributor - real or fake?

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

ive been going back through a lot of the conversations posted here, and ive noticed that there are a lot of "New Contributors" posting in them.  But, their posts done really make sense, its like some kind of general answer to someone else's posting.  Are these real people, or is it someone playing around with that ChatGPT, having ti register accounts and posting its "suggestions".  I say that, because the posts really are very generic in their answers.

Im only bringing this up for the sake of keeping this space open and for actual humans to use, versus some AI being tested by God knows who.  The user accounts are different, so its not all posted under one account.

@SamPirok maybe take a look and see what you think.

One is that Sharyn one here: https://community.extremenetworks.com/t5/extremecloud-iq/multiple-devices-unable-to-be-onboarded/td-... 

Anyway, there are a few scattered around with a few in quite old posts, and yet the enter by whatever this is, is fairly new.

-Jason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Jason, thanks for bringing this up. These are spam users/bots, they'll post one generic 'tech-y' reply without any suspicious links to get past basic spam filters, and then post generic replies with the suspicious links they're trying to promote. I promise we're not testing any new support AIs on the community, still 100% human-operated 😃

I do my best to find these guys and remove them and their content; but if you see these posts before I do, you can always flag it by clicking on the little down arrow in the top right corner of a reply/post, and choosing "Report Inappropriate Content" and throw in a quick explanation for the flag like "Spam?" or even just "?". That shows up in a report for me, I'll review it and get it out of there if it's spam. Feel free to flag anything even if you're not sure, it won't be removed until I review it too. 

Really appreciate you looking out for our community, you are my hero!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Jason, thanks for bringing this up. These are spam users/bots, they'll post one generic 'tech-y' reply without any suspicious links to get past basic spam filters, and then post generic replies with the suspicious links they're trying to promote. I promise we're not testing any new support AIs on the community, still 100% human-operated 😃

I do my best to find these guys and remove them and their content; but if you see these posts before I do, you can always flag it by clicking on the little down arrow in the top right corner of a reply/post, and choosing "Report Inappropriate Content" and throw in a quick explanation for the flag like "Spam?" or even just "?". That shows up in a report for me, I'll review it and get it out of there if it's spam. Feel free to flag anything even if you're not sure, it won't be removed until I review it too. 

Really appreciate you looking out for our community, you are my hero!!

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hey Sam.  oh i wasnt suggesting it was Extreme testing something out, i was just bringing this up for a conversation, plus id hate to see this very valuable place being used for some BS testing, or for those idiots who get paid (its got to be a lot of work to get an account created and then post their BS, and i bet they get paid cents on the dollar - so pointless) to spam and post link in forums... what they do is so **** pointless, as im sure 99.9999% of people wouldn't click on their link, let alone read their BS posts.

ive been int he IT game for more years than i care to remember, and in that time ive seen a lot of forums put out of business because of spam users/bots, and wouldnt want this valuable place in their "scope".

Thanks for the instruction on how to report them, ill be sure to use that the next time i bump into one of those "contributions".  This space has helped me a lot, so im going to do what i can to help protect it, plus Extreme is lucky to have you lead this space, you rock dude.

Best, Jason.

GTM-P2G8KFN