cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Profile - channel selection auto - neighbor APs on same channel & running at Max power allowed.

Radio Profile - channel selection auto - neighbor APs on same channel & running at Max power allowed.

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

I’ve been seeing many instances where APs are on the same channel as their neighboring AP with RSSI in the 60s or 70s. I’m looking for steps to take to prevent this that don’t require manual channel plans, as I have too many APs to manage in that manner (wish this wasn’t the case).

In this one example I’m trying to figure out why the two radios are showing drastically different channel costs. full disclosure, not really sure what these numbers mean or how they’re calculated so any info or resources are greatly appreciated.

Also of note, these Radio Profiles are set to auto power selection with max power of 14dB. There are 50+ APs at the site (apx every other room), yet every AP is running at power 14. none have adjusted power down at all. Is this typical? My understanding is that even if Co-channel and adjacent channel interference are minimized, RF should still be kept to minimum power necessary to avoid general interference.

5bb7eaac0bb34cacbe8138ead043bcbd_d87cd8aa-dea6-4049-a4ab-aadcd89b26aa.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John, sorry it took so long to confirm this, but I was able to confirm that APs will not do active scans on DFS channels. 

daniel1
Contributor

Excactly, no client has the transmit power to talk with 20dBm, so the client “hears” the AP but is unable to communicate back.

Furthermore the higher the transmit power of an AP the more interference you may have with other APs.

jose_gonzalez
Contributor

@john_kern On my XIQ iqva on-prem instance there is a bug where the heat map channel does not accurately reflect the channel that the AP is on, even though under Manage → Devices it displays correctly.  Make sure this is not the problem with your XIQ Amazon cloud hosted instance.  I have found out many bugs that affects on-prem IQVA also affect the Amazon cloud hosted instance.

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

@jose.gonzalez These are AP230s so no dual 5GHz. I have wifi0 (2.4GHz ) disabled on all but 5 of the APs. The only reason I’m not using DFS is because I’ve been told APs will not perform background scans while on DFS channels. I’m worried this will lead to even more problems with channel selection.

@daniel.schickmair curious if you could elaborate on that. Would that be because of asymmetric uplink?

GTM-P2G8KFN