cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is is always something

Why is is always something

systemscsn
Valued Contributor
SPOLIER ALERT - this is going to be a rant.

Why it is every time ive made a decision to change an AP, it never, NEVER works... or works only after getting tech support involved????

First time, it was change wifi0 to 5ghz from 2.4gh on an AP650(AH).  I made the change, did a full config push, as well as a Delta, and the change looked like it worked, but in fact didnt.  turned out to be some LLDP bug, which after being sorted out, and a fresh full config push fixed it.

and before my latest issue, lots of little irritating things, including the change of how entitlements work, and linking your XIQ to the license portal.

The latest, which im going to probably have to open a ticket for, is I wanted to enable (again an AP650ah) High Density, as well as up the max devices count from 100 to 150. The easiest way to do that, is clone the existing antenna profile, make the changes, save them.  Then go into your network policy >> device template and select the antenna profile for the wifi interfaces, save, and then Push the changes through a full config push.  Did that work... NO IT DID NOT.

Sure the audit goes to green, but you get into the AP, it has the OLD antenna profile..................  UGH...  so, unless this is fixed somehow, that would mean id have to go into each of the 144 AP650ah's I have and do them one by one  - oh yeah, doing it at the device level works.... WTHeck... 

not happy.

J
16 REPLIES 16

Hey guys, thanks very much for the feedback here. We were able to bring this thread up in a meeting today with our top XIQ techs and the general consensus was that we could likely help with these issues, but we'd need to open cases so we can schedule remote sessions with you all and start logging these issues with our engineers.

If you've already opened cases, please send me the case numbers and I'll pass those on to the team we spoke to today to see what our next steps are (even if the cases have been closed, please send those as well). 

If you haven't opened cases yet but can do so, please open a case for each issue and send me those case numbers too so I can keep a running list and make sure we keep making progress on those cases.

If you can't open a case right now, please let me know and I'll see if I can find any options to file the issues internally on your behalf. 

It helped a lot to have the detailed examples you all have been posting, so thanks again for taking the time to let us know about these issues. If you'd rather share the case numbers with me directly, please feel free to email them over to community@extremenetworks.com.

Hi Sam,
I probably would have also eventually raised a case for the issue being discussed here regarding Device Templates had I not stumbled upon this discussion/thread.   Presumably there is no point raising a case for this issue as it's now been highlighted and hopefully being dealt with.  Plus thanks to the input of others on this thread we also have a work-around albeit an annoying one!

I do however have a couple of other open cases regarding issues I've spotted and for me just reflect the current title of this thread!

Unable to Delete Device Templates

Case Number:  02589881
Incorrect Radio Profiles being displayed in XIQ for some devices.

Case Number:  02591763
I would have raised a case on yet another issue/annoyance I have found but it seems there is already an article for this and it's normal behaviour - by design.  It wasn't when this was HMOL!  Personally I see no point having a feature that is inaccurate or doesn't work!

Article Number: 000102795

@steven.rous that second one about not showing the correct profile, do a Actions>> revert to device template defaults.  that has worked for me.

This is my current massive pain issue:

View Question
Extremenetworks remove preview
View Question
Hi,I have a bunch of AP650(AH)'s, and i want High Density in some areas, and not in others. So i create another AP650(AH) template, and another radio profile,
View this on Extremenetworks >

The last update to the XIQ interface seems to have introduced bugs (the last page of the post above about IP Objects) or they have always been there...

Ive been literally fighting with it, just to get something that should be simple set up....

Sam: its the end of school, so im never going to have time to create a ticket for that..

thanks,
Jason.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor
Update of trying, but failing, to get the change working:

i wanted to have a Radio Profile that had max clients set from 100 to 175 (now that AP650ah's can handle lot more than 100), and also enable High Density.  So, i cloned the existing Radio Profile, made those changes tot he cloned one.  I then edited our Network Policy >> Device Template, and selected that newly created/cloned Radio Profile for both wifi0 and wifi1.

I saw the audit change to orange, as it should, for all our AP650ah's.  I selected 3 AP's and did a complete config update.  All was fine, no device update fails, audit icon back to green... all seemed well....  

I then selected the first of the three AP's i just updated, clicked on Configure >>> Wireless Interfaces and both wifi0 and wifi0 are still showing the old radio profile.  In checking the other two, only one of them had the new radio profile.  basically only 1 of 3 devices took that radio profile change.

Last night, i did a full config update, and in checking this morning, a ton didnt take that new radio profile, and a ton did take it.  seems so random.  Admittedly, there may be a handful where id made a change to their radio profile ages ago, but certainly not as many as im seeing that didnt take this latest change.  This isnt the first time a change in a policy, common object, etc when pushed to an AP has not worked.... and that is NOT good... and honestly, im tired and frustrated with that being an issue.  So thats where we are right now.....

Anyone else had a similar issue?  know a fix?  oh, and I also updated to the latest firmware (was on 10.3r4 and went to 10.4r4_ in hopes they woudl take the new radio profile... nope that didnt work either.

thanks,
Jason.-------------------------------------------

Original Message:
Sent: 03-31-2022 13:01
Subject: Why is is always something

SPOLIER ALERT - this is going to be a rant.

Why it is every time ive made a decision to change an AP, it never, NEVER works... or works only after getting tech support involved????

First time, it was change wifi0 to 5ghz from 2.4gh on an AP650(AH).  I made the change, did a full config push, as well as a Delta, and the change looked like it worked, but in fact didnt.  turned out to be some LLDP bug, which after being sorted out, and a fresh full config push fixed it.

and before my latest issue, lots of little irritating things, including the change of how entitlements work, and linking your XIQ to the license portal.

The latest, which im going to probably have to open a ticket for, is I wanted to enable (again an AP650ah) High Density, as well as up the max devices count from 100 to 150. The easiest way to do that, is clone the existing antenna profile, make the changes, save them.  Then go into your network policy >> device template and select the antenna profile for the wifi interfaces, save, and then Push the changes through a full config push.  Did that work... NO IT DID NOT.

Sure the audit goes to green, but you get into the AP, it has the OLD antenna profile..................  UGH...  so, unless this is fixed somehow, that would mean id have to go into each of the 144 AP650ah's I have and do them one by one  - oh yeah, doing it at the device level works.... WTHeck... 

not happy.

J

Jordan
New Contributor II

I've found that resetting AP to template default (Actions-> Revert Device to Template Defaults) and then once complete issue a complete configuration push to be a reliable way of getting the APs to actually take template changes.

GTM-P2G8KFN