cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP (Alarm) Trap to indicate no Backup Firmware (A/B/C-Series) and X440-G2

SNMP (Alarm) Trap to indicate no Backup Firmware (A/B/C-Series) and X440-G2

Eugene_van_Heer
New Contributor

Hi all, hope someone can help with this.

We are experiencing quite a lot of power blackouts (loadshedding), and it appears after power is restored that the firmware is corrupted.
This seems to happen mostly on A-Series, B-Series and C-Series switches, but I would extend this to X440-G2 and other switches too in future.

I know a large UPS to cover the extended "loadshedding" would eliminate this problem, but due to funding issues we are unable to install 100's of UPS everywhere.

I want to use NetSight/XMC/Extreme control to send me an e-mail (Alarms), to indicate devices with only one valid Firmware. This will thus help me to identify which device does not have a valid BuFW and I can then load a previous version (n-1).

In the alarms screen I don't see anything I can actually use for that, so I possibly have to add a custom alarm trigger. I already have a custom criteria alarm for many things (like SCAN errors).

Is there someone who setup something similar or who found something on the Alarms config screen which I might have missed?

2 REPLIES 2

Wiamsde
New Contributor

The Flow of SNMP Traps on the NNMi Management Server; Troubleshoot Examples. Introduction. Managing SNMP trap configuration within NNMi is a key task. 

@Eugene_van_Heer DG Paystub Portal wrote:

Hi all, hope someone can help with this.

We are experiencing quite a lot of power blackouts (loadshedding), and it appears after power is restored that the firmware is corrupted.
This seems to happen mostly on A-Series, B-Series and C-Series switches, but I would extend this to X440-G2 and other switches too in future.

I know a large UPS to cover the extended "loadshedding" would eliminate this problem, but due to funding issues we are unable to install 100's of UPS everywhere.

I want to use NetSight/XMC/Extreme control to send me an e-mail (Alarms), to indicate devices with only one valid Firmware. This will thus help me to identify which device does not have a valid BuFW and I can then load a previous version (n-1).

In the alarms screen I don't see anything I can actually use for that, so I possibly have to add a custom alarm trigger. I already have a custom criteria alarm for many things (like SCAN errors).

Is there someone who setup something similar or who found something on the Alarms config screen which I might have missed?

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

I can imagine creating a workflow and it should go through the devices and through CLI to verify if the backup firmware is set.

I am not aware of such a built-in feature.

Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN