Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems with plink (putty for commandline) to EOS devices

Connection problems with plink (putty for commandline) to EOS devices

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello all,
I want to connect to EOS devices with plink (the command line version of putty).
I need plink because I will use the communicaton in scripts on my PC.

With XOS all works fine. For example I use this command:

"plink ip –l user –pw passwort show switch" => I receive the expected result

On EOS I use:

"plink ip –l user –pw passwort show system" => I receive Error: „FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message.

Same behaviour if I use a config-file with the CLI-commands (like show system) instead of the CLI-command in the plink command line.

If I use the command:

"plink ip –l user –pw passwort" (without a CLI command) I receive no error but an oben CLI-session and can manualy set command on the open CLI-session.

Now the quesion. Does anybody know how I can connect to EOS via plink?

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan
9 REPLIES 9

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

I opend a GTAC case for this. The answer to the case was that plink isn't supported.

Stephan

Regards Stephan

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

I have tested this connecting to a D2 as EOS device with openssh on GNU/Linux, seeing the following results:
  1. Interactive login works fine,
  2. Specifying a command with the SSH invocation does not work,
  3. Providing a command to SSH via STDIN does work.
This seems to be similar to the problem reported by SH.

The test switch does not have a password configured, its IP address is 10.0.0.11.

Output for case 2:
$ ssh admin@10.0.0.11 "show version" Received disconnect from 10.0.0.11: 2: Packet integrity error. $ ssh admin@10.0.0.11 show version Received disconnect from 10.0.0.11: 2: Packet integrity error.Output for case 3:
$ echo show version | ssh admin@10.0.0.11 Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal. Enterasys D2-Series Command Line Interface Enterasys Networks, Inc. 50 Minuteman Rd. Andover, MA 01810-1008 U.S.A. Phone: +1 978 684 1000 E-mail: support@enterasys.com WWW: http://www.enterasys.com (c) Copyright Enterasys Networks, Inc. 2009 Chassis Serial Number: 08351019905C Chassis Firmware Revision: 06.03.01.0008 D2(su)->show version Model Serial # Versions -------------- ----------------- ------------------- D2G124-12 08351019905C Hw:BCM5698 REV 17 Bp:01.00.44 Fw:06.03.01.0008 BuFw:01.00.03.0002 D2(su)->Connection to 10.0.0.11 closed by remote host.

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Daniel, hello Alex,

thank you for your fast respone.
I will create a GTAC case.

Stephan

Regards Stephan

Alex24
Extreme Employee
Hello,

I did some quick testing with this and was able to replicate the behaviors you describe. My suspicion is because EOS is not a linux based operating system the method plink is using to send the commands in may not be supported. If you have a need for plink to work I would suggest logging a case with the GTAC for further investigation into this.

-Alex

Daniel_Coughlin
Extreme Employee
I have not used PLINK so I have no specific advice there. Hopefully somebody in the community has.
That said it may be helpful to turn up logging on the EOS device and see if you get an error that may steer you in the right direction.
GTM-P2G8KFN