Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterasys C3 Linking Vlans

Enterasys C3 Linking Vlans

janni
New Contributor
Hello everyone.

First let me say, that i really like this community. It helped me a lot in configuring our Enterasys switches in my company. But now let me come to my problem.

We use a few 48 port poe swichtes in our AV Rental company. Its for connecting devices such as ethernet based intercom system and so on.

I configured the swichtes in 3 Vlans. Now i want to link the vlans between the switches. But i dont want to use a trunk port, i want to link them separately. It's because the Intercom uses full 1000 MBit if the max number of users is used.

I tried to link the two Vlans via sfp modules. The Sfp Ports are in the correct VLans. But whenever i connect more than one SFP Link between two switches the connection refuses and the devices cant talk to each other. I thought it could be something with a loopback. But the two SFP Port i connect to eacht other are in different Vlans. So there cant be a loop. or am i wrong?

I hope you can help me out with this. Just let me know, if you need additional information.
11 REPLIES 11

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

it is possible using different independent links, but this needs a specific STP configuration, because by default STP does not know about the different VLANs.

1. You can use MSTP and create on instance per VLAN with dedicated link.
  2. You can disable STP on the inter switch link ports (this is dangerous!).
Using one LAG configured as a trunk for all relevant VLANs would be the easiest solution.

Thanks,
Erik

janni
New Contributor
i know that would be my next consideration. Use 2 ports as a VLAN Trunk with as a LAG. But i thought it should be possible with single Links....

janni
New Contributor
Hi Tomasz,

here it is:

C3(su)->show vlan portinfo port ge.1.46-48
Port VLAN Ingress Egress
Filter Vlan
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ge.1.46 100 N untagged: 100
ge.1.47 110 N untagged: 110
ge.1.48 120 N untagged: 120

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
It would make more sense to configure a LAG in that case.

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Jan,

How about:
'show vlan portinfo port ge.1.46-48'? Just wanna make sure from the display I'm more familiar with. It's been long time no see with EOS but I used to issue that command to see what is PVID (result of 'set port vlan ... modify-egress') and what are the egress VLANs (result of 'set vlan egress ... tagged/untagged') and over there it should be clear if PVID's the case.

Regards,
Tomasz
GTM-P2G8KFN