cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend VXLAN from OSPF to Static/Direct Connect Routed Network - L3 VXLAN Gateway needed?

Extend VXLAN from OSPF to Static/Direct Connect Routed Network - L3 VXLAN Gateway needed?

Bill_Handler
Contributor II
We have a customer that would like to use VXLAN to extend some VLANs across their network. They have a mix of XOS and EOS equipment, X670-G2s, S4, N3/N7, etc.

While working to configure VXLAN for their request, I realized that one VTEP will be in the Directly Connected Network portion (X670-G2 VTEP Directly Connected to an S4), and the other VTEP will be in the portion of the network that part of their OSPF ring (X670-G2 VTEP/OSPF router connected to N3 OSPF Router connected to N7 OSPF Router). The VXLAN should traverse within the OSPF network without issue as opaque LSAs as I understand things, since the N series doesn't know what VXLAN is.

In this scenario, the N7 is connected to the S4 and uses RIP with redistributed routes.

Ultimately, do we need to get a L3 VXLAN Gateway to make this work? I did have a thought of adding static routes into the S4 pointing to the Loopback/endpoint IPs but wasn't sure this would work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

7 REPLIES 7

Thanks Erik, I remember this from your posts in the other VXLAN hub article that Andre pointed to.

I had planned on using static endpoint mappings and not the ospf extension.

Ultimately, how will the endpoints find each other in my scenario if I do not have some sort of static route configured somewhere?

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Bill

Please refer to my previous post:
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/vxlan-lab-testing-on-summit-670-g2-switches

No VxLAN gateway is required, you can create and terminate the vxlan tunnel directly on the x670-g2's

Regards
Andre

I'm basing some of my post on that Hub post... What I'm worried about/questioning is traversing from the OSPF to the other L3 networks...

GTM-P2G8KFN