Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERS3549GTS VLAN settings

ERS3549GTS VLAN settings

squid-c
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I have a question about VLAN setting of ERS3549GTS v5.2.0.004.
I couldn't figure it out by looking at the CLI reference.

Q1.vlan port [port number] pvid [vid]
・"pvid = Port VLAN ID (native vlan)"
Is my understanding correct?

・Assuming that the following settings are reflected.
"vlan members 100 1", "vlan port 1 pvid 10"

Then, which port communicates with VLAN-ID 1 or 10?
below, Is my understanding correct?
untag VLAN-ID 1: Communication possible
untag VLAN-ID 10: Communication possible
Tag VLAN-ID 1&10: Communication impossible

Q2.
Suppose you have reflected the following settings:
"vlan ports X tagging untagPvidOnly"
"vlan members X add 10,20,30,40"

At this time, since pvid is not set, will pvid be 1?
To begin with, I don't understand the difference between "tagALL" and "untagPvidOnly".

Q3. vlan ports [port number] tagging tagAll filter-untagged-frame enable
I don't understand the intent of this command.

Any single answer is welcome.

BR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SteveD2
New Contributor

Squid-c,

Q1 - You are correct; PVID and Native are the same. So, for your example, I assume "vlan members 100 1" was a typo and should have read "vlan members 10 1" as the following "possible" scenarios do not include vlan 100. that said, all three are answered as yes but....

There are four tagging options; untagall, untagpvidonly, tagall, and tagpvidonly.

• Untagall – regardless of how many vlans are assigned the port, only the one listed as the pvid will communicate. Think of this setting as a standard access port.
  • Untagpvidonly – the vlan set as pvid will be untagged while the other vlans assigned to the port will be tagged.
    • Example 1: IP phones where the phone will pass the untagged vlan through the PC port while the IP phone operates on the tagged port.
    • Example 2: Your switch obtains its IP via dhcp: you’d set the management vlan as pvid while all the other vlans are tagged through for use on other ports
    • Example 3: Wireless Access Points, the management vlan would be the value in pvid while the others would be for hosts depending on SSID or CoA policy messages.
  • Tagall – Every vlan is tagged. Typically used as a trunk setting. PVID / native is really irrelevant here.
  • Tagpvidonly – Only the vlan set as pvid will be tagged. All other vlans will not be tagged. (I’ve never used this setting)

“untag vlan-id 1” “untag vlan-id 10” and “tag vlan-id 1 & 10” are all missing the untag(all/pvidonly) as is the tag(all/pvidonly).

Q2 – “At this time, since pvid is not set, will the pvid be 1?” There is data missing for a simple yes or no answer.

“vlan configcontrol” must be set to either flexible/automatic to add multiple vlans. Assuming you haven’t removed vlan 1 from the/all port(s), and “vlan configcontrol flexible” is set, then yes the pvid could be “1”. If “vlan configcontrol autopvid” is set, then no. The pvid would be the last vlan added.

Q3 – “vlan ports [port number] tagging tagAll filter-untagged-frame enable”

This is setting the port as a trunk port in which all vlans are tagged. If the port were to receive traffic without a tag it would drop the traffic.

I hope this helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SteveD2
New Contributor

Squid-c,

Q1 - You are correct; PVID and Native are the same. So, for your example, I assume "vlan members 100 1" was a typo and should have read "vlan members 10 1" as the following "possible" scenarios do not include vlan 100. that said, all three are answered as yes but....

There are four tagging options; untagall, untagpvidonly, tagall, and tagpvidonly.

• Untagall – regardless of how many vlans are assigned the port, only the one listed as the pvid will communicate. Think of this setting as a standard access port.
  • Untagpvidonly – the vlan set as pvid will be untagged while the other vlans assigned to the port will be tagged.
    • Example 1: IP phones where the phone will pass the untagged vlan through the PC port while the IP phone operates on the tagged port.
    • Example 2: Your switch obtains its IP via dhcp: you’d set the management vlan as pvid while all the other vlans are tagged through for use on other ports
    • Example 3: Wireless Access Points, the management vlan would be the value in pvid while the others would be for hosts depending on SSID or CoA policy messages.
  • Tagall – Every vlan is tagged. Typically used as a trunk setting. PVID / native is really irrelevant here.
  • Tagpvidonly – Only the vlan set as pvid will be tagged. All other vlans will not be tagged. (I’ve never used this setting)

“untag vlan-id 1” “untag vlan-id 10” and “tag vlan-id 1 & 10” are all missing the untag(all/pvidonly) as is the tag(all/pvidonly).

Q2 – “At this time, since pvid is not set, will the pvid be 1?” There is data missing for a simple yes or no answer.

“vlan configcontrol” must be set to either flexible/automatic to add multiple vlans. Assuming you haven’t removed vlan 1 from the/all port(s), and “vlan configcontrol flexible” is set, then yes the pvid could be “1”. If “vlan configcontrol autopvid” is set, then no. The pvid would be the last vlan added.

Q3 – “vlan ports [port number] tagging tagAll filter-untagged-frame enable”

This is setting the port as a trunk port in which all vlans are tagged. If the port were to receive traffic without a tag it would drop the traffic.

I hope this helps.

Steve

I appreciate your help.
My question has been resolved thanks to you!

XTRMUser
Contributor

I'll try my best.

Not sure what PVID stands for. Part 2. I'm assuming there is a typo, and it should be "vlan members 10 1"

In my network, I don't put vlan 1 as a member of any port. Just my preference. So I don't know (and didn't experiment) with it. But yes, vlan 10, untagged, should communicate. I presume you're referring to communicating with a computer of some kind plugged into that port. And yes, if vlan 10 (and 1) are tagged, then no communication will happen to the computer. Computers need an untagged connection.

Question 2: I'm not sure what PVID will be, if anything. TagAll means all vlans using that port will be tagged with a vlan tag. This allows multiple vlans to be using the same port, and not get confused. This is especially useful on uplinks/downlinks to other switches. UntagPVIDOnly means that all vlans EXCEPT the PVID will have vlan tags as part of their network packets. This parameter (untagpvidonly) is used (in my case, and I suspect many others) when you have a deskphone and computer hooked up to the same port. The computer uses the PVID vlan (since it needs untagged traffic) and the deskphone can use tagged traffic, on a separate vlan.

Question 3: the tag all explained in question 2. The "filter-untagged-frame enable" just means that if a packet/frame comes through that has no vlan tag on it, drop it.

I hope this helps, and if I'm wrong on something (or could have explained it more clearly) please chime in.

GTM-P2G8KFN