cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast on ERS

Multicast on ERS

Configterminal
New Contributor III

Hello I have two PC's connected to an ERS 4950 switch, on the same VLAN.  I am attempting to test multicast functionality but it doesn't seem to be working.  This switch is purely an L2 switch and both laptops are Windows 10 laptops on the same VLAN.  From my understanding the receiver should be able to receive the stream from the sender without any L3 settings.  I am using VLC media player to btw.

This is the only configuration pertaining to multicast:

interface vlan xxx
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp send-query
ip igmp version 3
exit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great. If the switch is just running in normal mode and Layer 2 the ONLY command you need the in VLAN is "ip igmp snooping"

If that isn't working concentrate on your VLC settings and your laptops.

The source of truth will be the output from "SHOW IP IGMP GROUPS" command.  if you don't see any groups the issue is with your laptops and the multicast emulating software.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

XTRMUser
Contributor

Paul is much better than I am on this, but on my 4950's, I have the command "ip igmp proxy" along side the snooping command.

You probably don't need the igmp version 3, but I don't think it'll hurt anything.

I also don't have the "send-query".

It's been mentioned before, but I use(d) multicast hammer for testing. It's an older program but works. Put it on both of your laptops, and test (make sure you're using the correct interface (I'm assuming LAN vs WiFi)).

Watch your display settings. If it's too high, it will be jerky. So try fairly low (1024 x 768), and increase it as you can.

Finally, I've had to reboot the switch, then things started working (that was more with VOSS, but if you can, it might not hurt).

Hope one or more of these ideas might help.

yeah,  I second this. Try and find a copy of MC HAMMER.    VLC player is too complicated  and is buggy.

And really the ONLY command you need is "IP IGMP SNOOPING" within the VLAN.   the rest of the stuff is not really needed.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

This should work all day.  Nothing wrong with the switch config.

If you perform some "SHOW IP IGMP GROUPS" do you see any groups? If you don't see any groups that means that VLC player isn't streaming anything. 

Make sure your Windows 10 laptops have the firewall disabled and any anti-virus isn't doing firewall blocking.

Also, make sure you are streaming properly. 

Here is a VLC script that I know works.

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=rtp{dst=224.6.6.6,port=5004,mux=ts,sap,name=extreme,ttl=8},dst=display} :sout-all :ttl=8 :sout-keep

GTM-P2G8KFN