cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active/Active VRRP with Mlag

Active/Active VRRP with Mlag

Jon_Haas
New Contributor
I have two BD 8810's. I have mlag and vrrp working well. It is currently in the standard active/backup. I have all my vlans on vrid 1 and the Virtual IP and the master are Core 1. We set the VIP to the IP of Core 1. My question is to get Active/Active what do I need to change?

Do I need to join all of the vlans to a vrid 2 and set the master and VIP on Core two then apply the ACL from the concepts guide?

Any help would be great. If you need more info let me know thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

Brian, the Active/Active configuration is a standard one. What happens when you apply the ACL and block VRRP messages is that both members of the VRRP pair think that they are the only active router in the domain and become Master.

Jon_Haas
New Contributor
After a long day I was able to test this policy out and it works great. Thanks for all the help.

Tamera_Rousseau
New Contributor
Please feel free to update the community as to your results Jon!

Jon_Haas
New Contributor
Thanks Guys. I will try this out today and let you know the results

dflouret
Extreme Employee
The truth lies somewhere in the middle...

If the only VRRP routers are the two neighbors forming the MLAG, then Sumit is right and the ACL should be applied only to the ISC ports.

But if there are other routers taking part of VRRP, other than the two neighbors forming the MLAG, then the ACL should be applied to any other ports that would let the hello packets reach these other VRRP members, as one of these might become Master and force the rest to standby.

Regards ,Daniel
GTM-P2G8KFN