cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-edge vs ezspantree

Auto-edge vs ezspantree

James_A
Valued Contributor
So I had a problem where a 5x X440-G2 stack with 75 iMacs on it would drop packets when the iMacs booted up, some investigation pointed the finger at spanning-tree, once I configured the ports with link-type edge the problem went away. My question now is why did I have to do this manually? auto-edge is supposed to be on by default, but show s0 ports detail shows Operational Edge : FALSE whether or not I have configured auto-edge on for that port. I have auto-bind on for all VLANs, and ezspantree enabled too.

I found this post which seems similar to what I'm seeing
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/edge-port-topology-change

I'm running 22.5.1.7 (22.6.1.4 was quite crashy).
12 REPLIES 12

James_A
Valued Contributor
How did you discover Auto Edge designated OperEdge ports send BPDUs? Is it documented anywhere? I had a look and couldn't find anything.

Also I just realised the feature I really want is to not have a lot of topology changes when the lab boots up. Does Auto Edge cause topology events for link up/down events when no BPDUs are detected on the port?

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
I did not test any of those combinations.

jeronimo
Contributor III
I am currently wondering:
1) When for example both loop-protect and auto-edge are enabled, how does the switch determine whether it should go into forwarding state or not?
2) Does auto-edge still do something when link-type is not set to auto?

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Not really a concern, since Auto Edge designated OperEdge ports work like they did on EOS, i.e. they do generate BPDUs.

Exactly your concern raised by a colleague made me take a look at this then new to EXOS feature.

James_A
Valued Contributor
Hmm, that's a bit of a concern since auto-edge is enabled by default and edge-safeguard is disabled by default. Either way perhaps there is a bug per the final comment in the post I linked.

Really I just want it to all just work like it did on EOS without me having to configure anything. Sensible defaults anyone?
GTM-P2G8KFN