cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can you preconfigure slot numbers on new switches going into an existing X450-G2 stack or do they have to be done at the time of install?

Can you preconfigure slot numbers on new switches going into an existing X450-G2 stack or do they have to be done at the time of install?

Tim_O_Donnell
New Contributor

I have an existing stack with 2 nodes already. I am adding 3 additional switches to the stack. Can I preconfigure the 3 new switches as slots 3-5 before hand or will they need to be done once they are added to the stack as this article points out:
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082561

Thanks for any responses.

5 REPLIES 5

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
You can configure the slots ahead of time, make sure you use the correct switch model.

Once you can configure the slot you can can configure the ports. This way when you physically install the switches you would just complete the switch swap procedure as if you were replacing a failed node.

I don't have the commands in front of me but...

configure slot
or
configure stacking slot

and a couple tabs should get you there.

That sounds familiar now that you mention it. I always have my laptop with me so never saw the need to go the extra step,

It is a good thought but I believe the mac address has to be in the "show stacking" output in order to configure it. This is not my preferred method but in theory you can configure everything on the switch being added and it will add in automatically.

Patrick,

I never thought about it before, but I could probably run all those commands ahead of time too.

Then at installation I would just be a matter of connecting stack cables and plugging in power. Just have to make sure to get the mac-address right šŸ™‚

GTM-P2G8KFN