cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot ping in/out of switch but can ping through it

Cannot ping in/out of switch but can ping through it

BradK1
New Contributor
I recently setup a new extreme switch that I am having a problem with. The switch itself is not able to ping out and other devices aren't able to ping it. .Though I am able to ping through the switch. For example:

laptop>problem switch> netgear switch>dhcp server works.

All configuration settings are factory default except DHCP client has been enable.

Info:
SysName: X440G2-24t-G4
SysLocation:
SysContact: support@extremenetworks.com, +1 888 257 3000
System MAC: 00:04:96:A0:86:10
System Type: X440G2-24t-G4
SysHealth check: Enabled (Normal)
Recovery Mode: All
System Watchdog: Enabled
Current Time: Wed Jan 24 19:20:37 2018
Timezone: [Auto DST Disabled] GMT Offset: 0 minutes, name is UTC.
Boot Time: Wed Jan 24 18:46:59 2018
Boot Count: 71
Next Reboot: None scheduled
System UpTime: 33 minutes 37 secondsCurrent State: OPERATIONAL
Image Selected: secondary
Image Booted: secondary
Primary ver: 22.3.1.4
Secondary ver: 22.4.1.4
Config Selected: test2.cfg
Config Booted: test2.cfg
Config Automatic: NONE (Disabled)

Untagged ports auto-move: Inform
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Name VID Protocol Addr Flags Proto Po rts Virtual
Ac tive router
/T otal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Default 1 192.168.101.132/24 -f----------T--------------- ANY 2 /28 VR-Default
Mgmt 4095 ------------------------------------------------ ANY 0 /1 VR-Mgmt
Ori Destination Gateway Mtr Flags VLAN Duration
#bo Default Route 192.168.101.2 1 UG-D---um--f- Default 0d:0h:36m:37s
#d 192.168.101.0/24 192.168.101.132 1 U------um--f- Default 0d:0h:36m:38s

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? It persists through power cycling. The workaround is to enable ipforwarding, which is unusual as I haven't had to do that with other switches.
11 REPLIES 11

Resolut1on
Contributor
Hi, I also experiencing the same issue. X440 G2. The 2 laptop cannot ping each other in the same vlan. I opened a case and they want to upgrade my version and use a wireshark to see the packet drops. You can open a case for this. Thanks, Newbie

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/ttl-expired-in-transit

Please see the link I posted recently. Even I configure the IP forwarding my switch does not able to ping other hosts even they are all untag in default vlan

what was the solution to this issue as im having a similar issue with a new switch install x440 g2.

my switch can ping other switches as well as google but the hosts on the same switch and vlan cant ping eachother,

I can see the mac addresses of the devices

BradK1
New Contributor
I forgot to mention one troubleshooting step I took was isolate two extreme switches. Enable a DHCP server on one and DHCP client on the problematic switch. I power cycled the problematic switch 10 times and was able to ping the DHCP server each time.
GTM-P2G8KFN