Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring vman ethertype on EXOS on existing trunk ports

Configuring vman ethertype on EXOS on existing trunk ports

Bruno_Quintanil
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am configuring vman for our customers. We have a EXOS access switch connected to a S4 (our core switch) switch that will then forward the traffic to another EXOS edge switch.

I found that in order for the traffic traverse the S4 i need to change the ethertype at the EXOS with the following commands:

configure vman ethertype 0x8100 secondary

configure ports 1:50 ethertype secondary

Will this configuration affect the normal switch operation? Being port 1:50 a lag trunk port with regular vlans alerady traversing the S4 switch.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi Bruno,

I'm not positive on this, but I believe that should be OK.

Setting the VMAN ethertype on EXOS tells EXOS which frames are allowed to be associated with a VMAN but it doesn't force all traffic with that ethertype into the VMAN. The Outer Tags would determine if traffic is associated with the relevant VLAN or VMAN. 

A lab test could be a good proof of concept.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wong6835
New Contributor

Glad you like it. We have been using this for several weeks now and it seems to be going nicely. ConduentConnect

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi Bruno,

I'm not positive on this, but I believe that should be OK.

Setting the VMAN ethertype on EXOS tells EXOS which frames are allowed to be associated with a VMAN but it doesn't force all traffic with that ethertype into the VMAN. The Outer Tags would determine if traffic is associated with the relevant VLAN or VMAN. 

A lab test could be a good proof of concept.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Gabriel,

That is what i suspect, just wanted some kind of confirmation.

I have just tested in a lab environment and you are correct, it went all ok. The ethtertype configuration is only applied to vman frames, not affecting normal vlan operations.

Thank you, have a nice day

GTM-P2G8KFN