New Contributor III

Current Cisco Configuration

Interface FastEthernet0/1

Description data & Phone

Switchport access vlan 60

switch mode access

swicthport voice vlan 888

spanning tree portfast

I have configured the extreme for voice to be tagged and data to be untagged.

When the phones connect they are connecting on teh data vlan and not voice .. so if I look at teh fdb for the port I have both macs on the data vlan ,,, incidently the phone actually works ..

LLDP is enabled,

configure lldp port 1:6 advertise system-name
configure lldp port 1:6 advertise vendor-specific dot1 vlan-name vlan VOICE-1

configure lldp port 1:6 advertise vendor-specific med capabilities
configure lldp port 1:6 advertose vendor specific power-via-mdi
confgure  lldp port 1:6 advertise vendor-specific med policy application voice vlan VOICE dscp 46

With this configuration , the Polycom phones still boot onto the data vlan ..

HAve I missed anything ?

Doi I need to modify the dhcp options on teh DAta vlan ..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rod_Robertson
New Contributor III

Hi , thanks for all the advice , in teh end teh customer was moving to “ soft phone” so the issue with the polycom phones went away .. they were definatly both untagged so teh only way I could have supported this configuration was in effect changing teh ethernet type , for one of the vlans, then I understand you can have multiple untagged vlans on same port .. so thanks for your advice and help

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rod_Robertson
New Contributor III

Hi , thanks for all the advice , in teh end teh customer was moving to “ soft phone” so the issue with the polycom phones went away .. they were definatly both untagged so teh only way I could have supported this configuration was in effect changing teh ethernet type , for one of the vlans, then I understand you can have multiple untagged vlans on same port .. so thanks for your advice and help

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Rod,

if your phones are using untagged and the switchports are using tagged this will not work.

Best practise is using tagged for the phone and untagged for the PC if the PC is plugged into the phone and the phone to the switch.

But for this you have to reconfigure your phones.

Regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

Rod_Robertson
New Contributor III

Gents the voice , and vocie 1 is a typo.. Sorry

Current config of test port now 1:15

Slot-2 WANDLE-EDGE-1.1 # show configuration | include 1:15

enable diffserv examination port 1:15

configure qosprofile QP3 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:15

configure qosprofile QP6 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:15

configure lldp port 1:15 advertise vendor-specific med capabilities

configure lldp port 1:15 advertise vendor-specific med power-via-mdi

configure lldp port 1:15 advertise vendor-specific dot1 port-protocol-vlan-id vlan VOICE

configure lldp port 1:15 advertise vendor-specific med policy application voice vlan VOICE dscp 46

The vlan is voice tag vlaue 888 protocol any , with all ports tagged , Sorry I cannot give you teh urrent config as My access remotly is limited.. I will try later today ..

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Ron,

the command switchport voice vlan {vlan-id | dot1p | none | untagged}} configures how voice traffic ist carried out via a cisco switch.

You wrote the portconfig ist “switchport voice vlan 888” which mean tagged to vlan 888. But that doesn't fit with your observation that the phone traffic ends up in the Untagged vlan (on the extreme switch) .

To get ahead it would be best to first know for sure if the phone is sending tagged or untagged packets!

As Mig mentioned your are using two differen names for voice vlan (VOICE and VOICE-1) why?

Is the vlan ID you are tagged to the phone port 888?

What happens if you untag the vlan 888 to the port. Works the phone as expected?

You can use two “untagged” vlans on a port. Please read the following KB:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Can-I-add-multiple-vlans-untagged-to-a-port

Regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN