cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 31.3.1-Patch1-5 fix Gigabit SFP modules in 5520 EXOS VIM-4X slots?

Does 31.3.1-Patch1-5 fix Gigabit SFP modules in 5520 EXOS VIM-4X slots?

Keith9
Contributor III

I’m just checking in if anyone with EXOS 5520 switches loaded the latest 31.3.1.3.Patch1-5 that was released on 7/1/2021.

We have had an issue where 1gbps optics or copper SFP modules in the VIM-4X ports would link up, but not pass traffic.  See original thread here:

I’m curious if this is now fixed in this version?  It would allow us to move our 1gbps uplinks to the VIM-4X SFP/SFP+ ports and standardize on all 48 front facing ports for end users and devices, like we do today with the 450-G2 switch stacks.

Plus I have a wireless site to site bridge that is connected to a rooftop unit via 1gbps fiber connection that has been down for months after migrating from a Cisco stack to a 5520 stack.  It was low priority because its just a 3rd tier backup (already have a 1gbps and a 100mbps provider from two ISPs).

In the release notes under Resolved Issues in 31.3.1-Patch-1-5 I see this note that could indicate this MAY be addressed (but were on 5520’s not 5420’s)

EXOS-29386 The default state of 1G auto-negotiation on 10G fiber ports depends on hardware capability, which can result in variations between the Universal Hardware (5420) platform and different operating systems (VOSS/EXOS). This can create a configuration mismatch, resulting in link loss when a variety of Universal Hardware and operating systems are used in the customer environment.

7 REPLIES 7

Keith9
Contributor III

I didn’t say what you said was BS, don’t take it personally. I think what Extreme did limiting it was BS.  Cisco, Ubiquiti, Ruckus, Aruba, HP, and others seem to handle auto negotiation without an issue.  Auto-negotiation as an algorithm was defined by Section 28 of the IEEE 802.3 standard and first introduced in 1997.  To say that Extreme isn’t supporting it in 2021 is more than just an oversight.  EXOS 31.2.1.1 resolved auto negotiation for 10/100 devices on the regular front 48 ports.  Being that an EXOS release resolved that issue, I was hopeful another EXOS release would resolve the same issue on the VIM-4X.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

If it doesn’t link up and its fiber, how do you “set the remote side” ..

Uh, it depends. In this exact case I was able to connect via wifi to an access point which was connected to an Edge-Switch on another floor. From there I could ssh to the distribution switch, disabled auto-nego and the link came up instantly.

Bullshit? Why? Because some switches support this? Well, others obiously don’t (the newer hardware generations) There are numerous GTAC articles that describe this problem:

Q A: Does the x695 support auto negotiation at 1gb or 10gb? | Extreme Portal (force.com)  (this one was created after I opened an ticket because I had the exact problem between X695 and other Summit-Switches; the command mentioned in this article needs to be issued on the Remote-Side, not the X695)

Solution: Neighboring device doesn't link-up at 1Gb on VIM5-4X | Extreme Portal (force.com)

Solution: 5520 VIM-4X doesn't work with 1 Gbps SFP | Extreme Portal (force.com)

+ I encountered this problem three times (1x with X695, 2x with 5520).

And you still call it bullshit? Okay, good luck with your problem.

Best regards
Stefan

Keith9
Contributor III

Here’s a good example.

Signal TX and RX are there on both ends, but no connectivity.

Remote end has only ONE option for the 1gbps SFP port…. Flow Control, Disabled or Enabled.

I only got to this from the OTHER side.. (X690 1gbps SFP fiber uplink, to HQ side of bridge, via that bridge to remote office side of that bridge --- which does not have connectivity down to that office’s switch stack).

d0ff10c4f9c74ff59baa4a2579a69533_2eec4b41-7ea9-4613-8b08-de4337556a19.jpg

Keith9
Contributor III

If it doesn’t link up and its fiber, how do you “set the remote side” .. do you buy one of those tp-link media converters and temporarally convert it to gig copper, and cable it to one of the 48 front facing ports to make that conneciton to the remote side, change it, and then your able to swing the fiber cable to the native VIM4x port?

I think thats BS.  Every other vendor, even Extreme Networks own switches like the 450G2s and the X690s we have auto negotiate any SFP/ SFP+.  They dont care whats at the other end.

GTM-P2G8KFN