Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Newbie - Multicast

Extreme Newbie - Multicast

CrzHrs
New Contributor

Hi, 

i am new into the extreme networks world, i am studying ExOS with a x435 to see if those series can fit my job. I am not from the networking realm, i am from coaxial tv world and i need to add ip systems to my portfolio. So expect i might say something stupid or nonsense 🙂

I’ve studied and worked well with cisco’s sg350 series, but i wish to stepup with something else,however studying the manuals i’ve immediatly found some things to be wired.

The goal: of course the aim is to project and manage an iptv (up to 5-600 tv points) maybe with mvr. Igmp snooping v2 or 3, nothing more. no pim, mld or more complex scenarios. Most of the cases goes from 60 to 100 tv points, except some villages. Nothing incredible then.

The first thing i’ve noticed is that there is too few control over the querier. I cannot set it fixed, nor i can tell wich switches partecipate to the election.It happens to some headends to act as a querier (or i might want to), and it happens that the lowest ip address is core/aggregator, while querier is somewhere else. Right now i’ve set my switch at x.x.x.118 while headend is at x.x.x.254 and i have two active queriers overlapping.. is it designed so?

Second point, there is no possibility to set mrouter ports (=i have to go via acl?). My risk is always that someone unplug a tv in flavour of a pc with who knows what flooding crap installed.

Multicast policies: what does nlri means in the file? it is just a divider or? Again, would be better run via acl or policies?

lastly, and non-multicasting, is l2 isolation. I do need it for some wired use (chromecast) but also to add some privacy between rooms, i do not want them to see each others. i’ve attempted to run into cli “configure port all...” then, differently from what stated into knowledge base (older exos?) there is not isolation command anymore. Is it somewhere else?

---------------

As a non-cli-user i would ask, if possible to add the querier settings and the mrouter ports into xiq (into network policies and port settings). there are several colleague that are scared jumping into iptv just becouse switches and cli are scary. Since i spend most of my time with a spectrum analyzer, i tend to forget cli commands pretty easily 🙂

Timers are suggested not to be modified, but the reality might differ: an example is the tv that is linked to the room power instead always on, so each time a guest goes out and take off the card, the switch does not perform immediate leave and goes timeout. Ok in small enviroments, but when the things grow it might impact the network.

Thanks all for answers and clarifications! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CrzHrs
New Contributor

L2 isolation problem fixed (page 307 of the manual). Somehow, if i set the configure ports as “all” i do not get same options than single ports (i place my bet on sfp limitation). And, searching the pdf for L2 isolation gives back no results. This was where i got stuck.

This common option could stay into the xiq port settings configuration sub-page.

One is gone 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CrzHrs
New Contributor

L2 isolation problem fixed (page 307 of the manual). Somehow, if i set the configure ports as “all” i do not get same options than single ports (i place my bet on sfp limitation). And, searching the pdf for L2 isolation gives back no results. This was where i got stuck.

This common option could stay into the xiq port settings configuration sub-page.

One is gone 🙂

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

I just sent you a DM

GTM-P2G8KFN