cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i send the Port description via SNMP trap when link up/down events occur.

How can i send the Port description via SNMP trap when link up/down events occur.

Paul11
Contributor
1. How can i send the Port description via SNMP trap when link up/down events occur. 2. Hostname together with Device IP address when snmp events send? Currently only IP address can see from snmp server. Really Appreciate your help. Thanks. - Paul
4 REPLIES 4

Paul11
Contributor
Hi Drew,

it is still in middle of no where. anyway we can conclude, most probably SNMP Server side need to modified the display description based on what they received from Switch snmp trap to SMS or email notification.

thanks.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Paul,
I'm going through older threads and wanted to ask if you still need assistance with this.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
1) I've found this article but it doesn't work with my 6.3 Netsight and a D2 switch.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-add-port-name-in-notification-email...

Tried it a view times because of...
"Please note that the alias information for the port will not display the name until the second trap/event comes in. The first time the notification will get sent before the port cache is populated with the name. After that you should get the name."

I've also tried this...
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/NetSight-alarm-notification-is-not-inclu...

2) That works,,,,
- Edit the alarm in question
- Change to the Actions tab.
- Place a check in the Override Content box.
- Click on the Edit Content button
- add either $deviceNickName or $sysName and you'll get the sysname/nickname of the switch in the mail

Example:

01b2f766a2d646fcb5a9c042149bd71f_RackMultipart20151016-29712-65r7kv-Netsight_email_link_down01_inline.png

-Ron

Thank you Ronald, sorry my late reply.

In my case we are using customized Alarm Monitoring Server. So i can consider that the port description we want to display is to be modified at SNMP server side.

From Switch Side.
i have configured display string.
I gave the MIB file to SNMP server.
Switch will simply send all the link up/down trap to SNMP server.

Please advice any idea about MIB and below OID. For SNMP Server side to be play around in order to see the port description in SNMP monitoring server.

* Singapore-SW.7 # show snmp get 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.1002
mib_2.31.1.1.1.18.1002 = To-Server-A

* Singapore-SW.8 # show snmp get 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.1012
mib_2.31.1.1.1.18.1012 = To-Server-B

Singapore-SW.8 # sh ports no-refresh
Port Summary
Port Display VLAN Name Port Link Speed Duplex
# String (or # VLANs) State State Actual Actual
==================================================================
1 E R
2 To-Server-A (0002) E A 100 FULL
3 E R