cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to assign multicast groups to different egress queue with higher qosprofile than unicast

how to assign multicast groups to different egress queue with higher qosprofile than unicast

derekche
New Contributor

I have a egress port experiencing port congestion, downstream connected to multiple access networks with workstations receiving unicast and multicast traffic. Due to port congestion, multicast traffic such as CCTV live feed are experiencing frozen screen or lagging problem.

Is there a configuration example how to assign multicast groups with higher qosprofile (i.e egress queue) than unicast traffic and how to apply it to the egress port with port congestion problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OscarK
Extreme Employee

In EXOS matching the traffic on ingress will cause it to use the matching queue on egress.

So on ingress you can match the traffic through an ACL for example and put it in one of the qosprofiles.

However, if the traffic is already is having a diffserv value, you could enable diffserv examination on the ingress ports and map the codepoint to a qosprofile.

Check this article, https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000083366

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

OscarK
Extreme Employee

In EXOS matching the traffic on ingress will cause it to use the matching queue on egress.

So on ingress you can match the traffic through an ACL for example and put it in one of the qosprofiles.

However, if the traffic is already is having a diffserv value, you could enable diffserv examination on the ingress ports and map the codepoint to a qosprofile.

Check this article, https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000083366

David081988wise
New Contributor

Certainly! When dealing with multicast traffic and egress queues, it’s essential to prioritize and manage them effectively. Here are some general guidelines for achieving this:

1. Understanding Multicast and Unicast:
1. Multicast traffic is data sent from one source to multiple recipients (group members) simultaneously.
2. Unicast traffic is point-to-point communication between a single sender and a single receiver.

2. Assigning Multicast Groups to Egress Queues:
1. To prioritize multicast over unicast, you can assign different Quality of Service (QoS) profiles to each type of traffic.
2. QoS profiles define how traffic is treated based on its characteristics (such as priority, bandwidth, etc.).

3. Configuration Steps:
1. Identify Multicast Groups: Determine which multicast groups need higher priority.
2. Create QoS Profiles:

Define QoS profiles with different priorities (e.g., high, medium, low).
      Assign higher priority to multicast traffic by configuring the appropriate QoS profile. Dog Near Me

Map Multicast Traffic to Egress Queues: Associate multicast groups with specific egress queues using ACLs (Access Control Lists) or other classification methods. Ensure that multicast packets are directed to the desired queue with the higher QoS profile.

Apply to Egress Ports: Apply the QoS configuration to the egress port(s) experiencing congestion. This ensures that multicast traffic gets preferential treatment over unicast traffic.

4. Vendor-Specific Implementation:
1. The exact steps and commands depend on your network equipment and software.
2. Consult your device’s documentation or community forums for vendor-specific instructions. For example, Extreme Networks provides community support where you can find configuration examples.

Remember that proper configuration and testing are crucial to achieving the desired behavior. Adjust the QoS settings based on your network’s requirements and traffic patterns.

GTM-P2G8KFN