cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check, find out and resolve the root cause of HIGH CPU Utilization in more detail? What is Normal Utilization range 0-60 ???

How to check, find out and resolve the root cause of HIGH CPU Utilization in more detail? What is Normal Utilization range 0-60 ???

Paul11
Contributor
Slot-1 x250-sw# show cpu-monitoring

CPU Utilization Statistics - Monitored every 20 seconds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Card Process 5 10 30 1 5 30 1 Max Total
secs secs secs min mins mins hour User/System
util util util util util util util util CPU Usage
(%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (%) (secs)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slot-1 System n/a n/a 0.0 0.3 0.1 0.1 0.2 43.8 612.90 261811.43
Slot-2 System n/a n/a 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.1 79.3 0.00 0.00

Thanks for any guidance,
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_H
Extreme Employee
I agree that the "top" command will provide better information on what process is running high..

in case that a process called bcmRX is going high, then this indicates that a lot of packets are being forwarded by software (the CPU) and not the switching hardware, and this often indicates either a loop in the network or full tables..

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Paul,

Typically high CPU utilization needs to be diagnosed case by case. There are certain processes that can run high which will lead us towards certain diagnostics steps to find out what is causing the high CPU%. There really isn't a recommended range. Depending on what the switch is being used for some processes can spike for a very short period of time.

If you are seeing network problems or problems on the switch please check the "top" output. This will show you real time CPU usage. If you see some processes each running at maybe 10 or 20% I would recommend opening a case with GTAC so it can looked into further.

Thanks,

Patrick

Thank you Partick and Ryan, i will look into it to get more understand on this portion.

-Paul

Here's a bit more on "Understanding the output of a Top command" from GTAC Knowledge.

GTM-P2G8KFN