cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure sfp port

how to configure sfp port

lokpoho
New Contributor
i have extreme summit x450a-48t. I want to know how to configure one of the sfp port becasue i want to connect the port to another PC using fiber cable
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FredrikB
Contributor II
There's no need to configure anything other than what would be needed for a copper port. If the port is a combo port (and as far as I remember you only have combo SFP ports in the -48t), you could specify you want the SFP to take precedence over the copper port, but that's the default anayway:

"To change the uplink failover assignment, use the following command:

configure ports port_list preferred-medium [copper | fiber] {force}

The default preferred-medium is fiber. If using the force option, it disables automatic failover. If you
force the preferred-medium to fiber and the fiber link goes away, the copper link is not used, even if
available."

/Fredrik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_Arthur
New Contributor

Hi lokpoho! You do not need to configure anything as long as you have a router that has an SFP port from your internet provider. If your internet provider did not give you the router with the SFP port or they are not using SFP cables then I would suggest you change your internet provider and check for one that provides you with all necessary equipment. To do so you can check all your internet providers by your postal code on https://usave.co.uk/broadband/unlimited-broadband-deals/ and choose one that you consider will be the best. Otherwise, you can buy a MikroTik router with the SFP port if you want to do so. Hope I was helpful to you.

lokpoho
New Contributor
Thanks Fredrik

FredrikB
Contributor II
There's no need to configure anything other than what would be needed for a copper port. If the port is a combo port (and as far as I remember you only have combo SFP ports in the -48t), you could specify you want the SFP to take precedence over the copper port, but that's the default anayway:

"To change the uplink failover assignment, use the following command:

configure ports port_list preferred-medium [copper | fiber] {force}

The default preferred-medium is fiber. If using the force option, it disables automatic failover. If you
force the preferred-medium to fiber and the fiber link goes away, the copper link is not used, even if
available."

/Fredrik
GTM-P2G8KFN