cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make 2 switches talk after connecting with fiber?

How to make 2 switches talk after connecting with fiber?

Adam_Joseph
New Contributor
Hi

First off, I'm very new to this, so please bear with me as I'm learning. I've tried to research this but I don't know the keywords I need.

I have 2 Summit X250e-48P switches. I have managed to create a VLAN, set a DHCP scope, and connect devices. They work great individually.

I have connected them together via the SFP slots with LC connectors (labeled for use with Extreme switches).

Should that be it, or do I need to configure the SFP ports?

Sorry if I haven't given enough information.
13 REPLIES 13

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
And remove the DHCP scope on one of the switches because it isn't a great idea to have 2 scopes for the same network.

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
The only things you "may" need to do is to setup those ports as trunks to carry the multiple vlan's you setup between the switches (an assumption, based on your note about creating a vlan (there is one by default)). If you have more than one, simply add them both the each side of the link in the same fashion. Personally, I prefer to "tag" all VLAN's in a trunk, that way it's easier to visualize the VLAN's when reading the config (when a port has an untagged vlan assigned, it's simply the default vlan for that port and is not as clearly identified). For example, if you are connecting port 1 on the first switch to port 2 on the second switch, and you have 2 vlan's that need to be carried between the two (let's say v70 and v90), it would like like this:

SW1:
conf default del port 1 (remove default vlan from port 1)
conf vlan "v70" add port 1 tagged (make port 1 a tagged member of this vlan)
conf vlan "v90" add port 1 tagged (also make that port a member of this vlan)

SW2:
conf default del port 2 (the rest follow as above)
conf vlan "v70" add port 2 tagged
conf vlan "v90" add port 2 tagged

Now, those ports act like a pipeline, connecting the two switches, and adding a small amount of info to the packet header telling the opposite switch which vlan each packet belongs to. The switches strip this "tag" when the packet enters the switch port, looks up the other members of that VLAN in its local database and then forwards the packet on to those members. If the member is in that vlan by default (untagged), then the header is not modified as it's not needed. If the member port is a tagged member like the pipeline was, the tag is added back before sending it to that port so it can discern which vlan it's intended for.

finally, add a description to the port to aid in documentation

SW1:
conf port 1 display-description "TrunkToSw2P2"

SW2:
conf port 2 display-description "TrunkToSw1P1"

BigRic

Adam_Joseph
New Contributor
sorry - they are the same network. but will be in 2 different buildings.

Nick_Yakimenko
New Contributor II
What is the purpose of connecting two individual networks into one?
GTM-P2G8KFN