Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter VLAN Routing on X460-G2

Inter VLAN Routing on X460-G2

rspela830
New Contributor

Good day!!

I am having an issue with inter vlan routing between two X460-G2 switches.  I am using a star topology, with the hub switch configured as such for the vlans I wish  to route between.

create vlan CMA-CONTROL tag 30

create vlan CMA-NVX tag 40

configure vlan CMA-CONTROL ipaddress 192.168.30.1 255.255.254.0

enable ipforwarding vlan CMA-CONTROl

configure vlan CMA-NVX ipaddress 192.168.40.1 255.255.254.0

enable ipforwarding vlan CMA-NVX

configure vlan CMA-CONTROL add ports 2:30 tagged

configure vlan CMA-NVX add ports 2:30 tagged

the Default vlan is the "management" vlan for the switch with an ip address of 192.168.1.1/27

The downstream switch has the following config:

create vlan CMA-CONTROL tag 30

create vlan CMA-NVX tag 40

configure vlan CMA-CONTROL add ports 1:4 untagged

configure vlan CMA-CONTROL add ports 1:49 untagged

configure vlan CMA-NVX add ports 1:2 untagged

configure vlan CMA-NVX add ports 1:49 untagged

The Deafult vlan on this switch has an ipaddress of 192.168.1.11/24

and a deafult route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 pointing back to the hub switch.

I have devices configure with the respective ip addresses for both vlans.  I am able to ping the device in the 192.168.40.0 vlan but not the 192.168.30.0 vlan.  They are configured identical minus the ipaddress. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

RobertD1
Contributor

Is that a typo at the end... should be an "L"? Check IP forwarding is definitely enabled.

enable ipforwarding vlan CMA-CONTROl

Shouldn't this be ...

enable ipforwarding vlan CMA-CONTROL

Rob

rspela830
New Contributor

I have sharing enabled on ports 2:30 of the hub switc and the vlan is configured on the port as tagged, as well as on the downstream switch on port 1:49 as tagged.  The vlan has an ip address of 192.168.30.1/23. I configured a dhcp scope for this vlan as well on the hub switch, then i configured ports on the downstream switch as untagged for this vlan. I connected my laptop and i received the correct dhcp address for this vlan.  I am able to ping the gateway, but I cannot ping my laptop or another laptop connected to the same downstream switch in the same vlan.  I have ipforwarding enabled on the vlan and I receive a request time out message on a failed ping.  The poing is getting there but not being routed back.  The hub switch has both laptops in its arp table with the corresponding ip addresses and both laptops are in the fdb of the downstream switch.  Thsi si the only vlan I am having this issue with.

StephenW
Extreme Employee

On the downstream switch every port is untagged and on the Upstream switch they are all tagged.  Not sure what ports connect these together, but they should both be tagged between switches.

What does the ping output tell you?  No route to host, Timeout, destination host unreachable. 

GTM-P2G8KFN