cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Setup for BGP

IP Setup for BGP

Michael_Goodlif
New Contributor II
Hi, I am preparing new IPs I have received for BGP and am wondering if my configuration is correct.

I have a single /22 IPv4 which i have split into four separate /24's.

For the example this will be x.x.160.0/22
so the /24's are:
x.x.160.0/24
x.x.161.0/24
x.x.162.0/24
x.x.163.0/24

I am going to be peering using a BGP session connected over the vlan Default which already has IP's routed to it from our datacentre.

I have created four loopback VLAN's for the four /24's:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Name VID Protocol Addr Flags Proto Ports Virtual
Active router
/Total
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Default 1 x.x.x.x /26 -f---------T----------- ANY 11/18 VR-Default

vlan_LB 4089 x.x.160.1 /24 -fL-------------------- ANY 0 /0 VR-Default
vlan_LB2 4087 x.x.161.1 /24 -fL-------------------- ANY 0 /0 VR-Default
vlan_LB3 4086 x.x.162.1 /24 -fL-------------------- ANY 0 /0 VR-Default
vlan_LB4 4085 x.x.163.1 /24 -fL-------------------- ANY 0 /0 VR-Default

as you can see, ipforwarding is enabled on all VLAN's.

show iproute:
Ori Destination Gateway Mtr Flags VLAN Duration
#d x.x.x.x/26 x.x.x.x 1 U------um--f Default 0d:1h:40m:16s
#d x.x.160.0/24 x.x.160.1 1 U------um--f vlan_LB 0d:0h:22m:8s
#d x.x.161.0/24 x.x.161.1 1 U------um--f vlan_LB2 0d:1h:25m:1s
#d x.x.162.0/24 x.x.162.1 1 U------um--f vlan_LB3 0d:1h:24m:9s
#d x.x.163.0/24 x.x.163.1 1 U------um--f vlan_LB4 0d:1h:23m:56s

I have servers currently connected to the Default VLAN and will be intending to use these new IP's on these servers.

I have set the IPs on one of the servers to x.x.160.100 with the gateway x.x.160.1 which is the vlan_LB gateway IP. However the gateway is unreachable and cannot be pinged:

[root@localhost ~]# ping 185.53.160.1
PING 185.53.160.1 (185.53.160.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 185.53.160.1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1830ms

Is my configuration correct to add the gateway's to separate VLAN's?

I did a test and added the gateway x.x.160.1 IP as a secondary IP to the Default VLAN and I can ping the gateway x.x.160.1 from the test server.

Should I be adding the gateway's as IP's on their own loopback VLAN's, or add them as secondary IP's on the Default VLAN where they are going to be used?

for BGP I will use the below to peer:

configure bgp routerid x.x.160.2
configure bgp add network x.x.160.0/24
configure bgp add network x.x.161.0/24
configure bgp add network x.x.162.0/24
configure bgp add network x.x.163.0/24

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Michael_Goodlif
New Contributor II
I was looking at the guide by Extreme Networks on setting up BGP (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2BB0964BEE78586) and the IP's which are being routed to the BGP neighbour were added on loopback VLAN's.
At the moment, I have a number of servers connected to the Default VLAN and they are using IP's routed from our Datacentre through port 1.

What I want to do is also perform a BGP session over this existing link on port 1 with the Datacentre for peering and announcing our new /22 IP range. They have said this is possible.

So what I want to do first is setup the gateway's before performing the BGP configuration.

Should I just add these gateway's to the Default VLAN as secondary IP's? That way they are pingable on the Default VLAN.

The issue is that I need the existing IP's to still be usable in the Default VLAN, along with the new IP's I am announcing.

I think your second solution is good, however this is currently a production environment and making changes is difficult.

I will be switching servers soon, so installing the new servers in a separate VLAN may be a good idea. If I create a VLAN for the new servers, and enable ip forwarding on that VLAN and the Default VLAN, the 2 should be able to communicate?

Thanks for all the help.

Jarek
New Contributor II
Michael,
in short I meant that you can add the ports for those servers to server vlan , sorry for misunderstanding.

1) I don't now how is your network looks like, but I think in your case,
you have some hosts in vlan default and want to add servers to this vlan.
This is OK, you add a secondary IP''s and done, it will work.
But you have all in one vlan - one domain.

2) You can also have in one vlan host and in second vlan servers. Then you have two smaller broadcast domain. Now host and servers are separated.
They will have contact to each other, because you enabled ipforwarding on this two vlans

In my opinion the second solution is better - "more secure".

--
Jarek

Sumit_Tokle
Contributor
Sorry, I have missed the loopback flag L has enabled on vlans.

May I know what is the reason for connecting the server in default vlan instead of vlan_LB and configure these four vlan as Loopback vlan?

Michael_Goodlif
New Contributor II
Hi, I have already enabled loopback on all of the vlan_LB's. This is visible in the show vlan I pasted with the flag L, but the gateways are still not pingable from the Default VLAN.
GTM-P2G8KFN