Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAG between stack members with different port speeds

LAG between stack members with different port speeds

Paul_Thornton
New Contributor III
Hi all,

Here's an annoying LAG problem. I have a stack which consists of an X670-G2 (slot 1) and an X460-G2 (slot 2). I want to create a 4x 1G LAG from this stack to another switch elsewhere. We're running 16.1.3.6 on this.

Unfortunately, this is the result:
* Slot-1 Switch1.17 # enable sharing 1:7 group 1:7,1:8,2:31,2:39 alg address-based L3_L4 lacp
Error: System cannot support Load Sharing among port media types with different maximum speed
Configuration failed on backup Node, command execution aborted!

Ah ha, I think, I need to fix the speeds. Fair enough. Can't have two ports at 10G and two at 1G.

Nope, doesn't work:

* Slot-1 Switch1.23 # config port 1:7, 1:8, 2:31, 2:39 auto on speed 1000 duplex full
* Slot-1 Switch1.24 # enable sharing 1:7 group 1:7,1:8, 2:31,2:39 alg address-based L3_L4 lacp
Error: System cannot support Load Sharing among port media types with different maximum speed
Configuration failed on backup Node, command execution aborted!

This seems to be very broken - obviously I can use just 4x ports on slot 2 (the X460-G2) but hey, the whole point of having the stack here is to help with some redundancy as well as port count.

I obviously know that members of a LAG group have to be the same speed, but I think that this should be allowed as the X670-G2 is a 1G/10G switch. Its almost as bad as not permitting a LAG between say a 10/100/1000M port and a 1G only port.

Is there any workaround for this? It feels like a bug or a feature that's being a bit too enthusiastic!

Paul.

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Thornton
New Contributor III
Hi Oscar

I'll raise it as a case so it can be properly tracked.

Thanks

Paul.

OscarK
Extreme Employee
The error indicates ports should be with the same maximum speeds.

so a 10/100/1000 could LAG with a 1 Gb port because the maximum speed is the same.

It is fixed for 40 gig ports partitioned in 4x10 gig that showed the same problem, I think this should be logged as a case so the behavior can be improved.
GTM-P2G8KFN