Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing of 5420

Licensing of 5420

kevariste
New Contributor II

Good evening,
I hope my message finds you well.
We have acquired Extreme Networks switches  5420 series that came with ExtremeXOS and we want to migrate them to ExtemeVOSS.
Our main concern is whether Extreme Networks licenses are linked to the serial number or the operating system, in other words, are ExtremeXOS licenses valid for ExtremeVOSS?

Thank you for helping us understand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

the 5000 series premier feature licenses is linked to the switch.  Not the OS.

So if you want the advanced features in VOSS/FabricEngine or EXOS/SwitchEngine its the same license file. 

Just a heads up that license file is removed from the switch when you perform the OS change.  So you either need to keep that license backed up somewhere, or fetch it again from the license portal.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

the 5000 series premier feature licenses is linked to the switch.  Not the OS.

So if you want the advanced features in VOSS/FabricEngine or EXOS/SwitchEngine its the same license file. 

Just a heads up that license file is removed from the switch when you perform the OS change.  So you either need to keep that license backed up somewhere, or fetch it again from the license portal.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

What licenses are you talking about? Pilot licenses? Premier licenses?

Premier license is for EXOS only, not for VOSS. Edit: I was wrong here! Premier licenses also exits for VOSS.
Pilot licenses are not bound to any specific device.  

that is not true. 

The same 5000 series premier licenses is required for VOSS/FabricEngine if you want to use L3VSNS, more than 4 OSPF peers, more than 2 BGP peers, Application host and the VxLAN gateway. 

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Oh, that's certainly good to know!

GTM-P2G8KFN