cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Aggregation negotiate in half-duplex

Link Aggregation negotiate in half-duplex

Formia
New Contributor
I configured two port in aggregation between a X440G2-24t-G4 and a Moxa EDR 810 both in static mode.
Everything seems working fine but the two ports of the Extreme switch negotiate in half-duplex (with show port information). However Moxa shows his two ports in full-duplex.

The command I used is: enable sharing 21 grouping 21-22

Is there any reason why this can happen?
Thanks
Andrea
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EtherMAN
Contributor III
when you set up the aggregation on the EXOS side you can choose what algorithm to use for the share. This must be defined when you create the share. Default is layer 2 so looks at mac addresses only ... Best is layer 3 and 4 so it looks deeper into packets for the sharing hash. But ports share will never be equal and if you only have one client on one side and one on other side transferring file or streaming ect all flows will only be on one port not matter what. This is why we are moving from ten gig lag groups in our metro core to 100 gig links... even with 2500 active vlans and about 89000 macs in core you can still get enough traffic from some of the larger single ip routers to load up a single ten gig port in a 40 or 60 gig lag group.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Formia
New Contributor
Thanks EtherMAN for your reply.
Just to clarify both MOXA and Extreme switches have the port configured in auto. In fact if I connect both switches with one port (without aggregation) they negotiate in full duplex.
Only with two links in aggregation (and both side configured in auto) the extreme shows his two port in half duplex. I have tried to replace the cables as well but the result is the same.
However the link redundancy works fine. When I disconnect one link, the communication is still working but even the single link remaining is in half only in the extreme switch port.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
by default the Extreme switch port setting is auto negotiate on and duplex as auto. If the 810 is hard coded and not set to auto, auto there is a chance the ports will come in at half duplex on the Extreme side. Both switches have to have same settings on the ports and you do not want to run half-duplex ...
GTM-P2G8KFN