cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac based port security and removing / modifying configuration

Mac based port security and removing / modifying configuration

kjstech
New Contributor II
I was trying to experiment with the EXOS version of what we do on our Cisco switches which is mac-address based security tied to a port.

Sometimes we will use the following cisco commands on a port for example:
switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security mac-address sticky 484d.7e00.0000 vlan access
switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0004.f200.0001 vlan voice

Really we just type in the first two lines, and the switch automatically fills in the lines with the mac addresses as they are learned. If you plug a different device in, the port shuts down. If you plug one of those devices into a different port on the switch, the port shuts down. If moving devices or swapping devices we just issue a no in front of the command with the mac address we want to remove, after the cable is unplugged.

So I have a laptop here with two USB nics and I just want to try the EXOS equivalent of this, but limit it to learning one mac address, so I can verify with my second nic that the port will shut down.

I first found this on gtac kb:
configure port 2 vlan Default limit-learning 1 action stop-learning
However I get a network connection with either USB nic and sucessful pings. So it doesn't appear to be stoping anything.

Then I found this one on gtac kb:
configure mac-locking ports 2 first-arrival limit-learning 1
However the first command above is still on port 2 on this test switch, see below:
* X450G2-24p-G4.102 # sh configuration | grep learning
configure port 2 vlan Default limit-learning 1 action stop-learning
How can I make the first line "go away"? I tried unconfigure port 2 vlan Default limit-learning 1 action stop-learning and it was invalid.

Also can you steer me in the right direction how to accomplish (and maintain) the equivalant Cisco feature on EXOS?

I eventually want to get this working in Netsight under Control with our nac VM. Were a very new install and though I have stuff in there on this test switch, it doesn't block traffic. I'm envisioning an easy to use and maintain place for the entire IT department of 6 to go in and add or remove mac addresses to a list. Basically if your mac address is in that list, you are on the network. If not, the port goes dead.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Hello,

I am wondering what @kjstech and @Patrick Voss came up with for making this work, as I am on a similar journey. Basically, I would like to pin the current MAC addresses to a port (what ever is plugged in right now) and if a new device is attached to that port, send it to the blackhole. If we need to connect a new device to the port, we would need to clear the entry to allow it to be connected to the port.

kjstech
New Contributor II
Actually it didn't work, it was my laptop. The usb nic doesn't work in the right usb port. Both USB nics only work in the left usb port so I can only use one at a time.

Anyway I thought I had to do more configuration, like tell the port WHAT to do after it reached its limit, and also actually ENABLE the feature. I did that, but it still doesn't do anything.
configure mac-locking ports 2 learn-limit-action disable-port
enable mac-locking ports 2
And how about logging, well I tried this:
configure mac-locking ports 1-24 log on
configure mac-locking ports 2 trap violation on
MAC locking is globally disabled. Port MAC Trap Log FA Limit Link Max Max Last Violating Lock Thr|Viol Thr|Viol Aging Action Down Stc FA MAC Address Stat Cfg|Stat Action ----- ---- -------- -------- ----- -------- ------ --- --- ----------------- 1 dis off|off off|on dis ena|ena clear 64 600 00:00:00:00:00:00 2 ena off|on off|on dis dis|ena clear 64 1 00:00:00:00:00:00

Still both usb nics work and get network access.

kjstech
New Contributor II
I'm wondering if mac locking means it will learn 1 mac address as shown above, but lets say I try to pass through a phone, or heck, connect a downstream switch with a bunch of other devices on it. I'm thinking it doesn't in a sense "Marry" or "bind" a particular mac address on the port, but it limites the number of simulatanous mac addresses that can communicate on the port at the same time. Thats why I always have access since I'm just plugging it into a laptop.

I just undid all of that configuration and I will go down exploring the avenue of configure port 2 vlan default limit-learning 1 action blackhole

kjstech
New Contributor II
Ok I was able to undo that Looks like the second command does what I would expect.
The first NIC connected works. Switching the cable to the other nic does not get an IP address, nor ping. Odd though in sh log there was nothing logged for this event.

Is one way better than the other, or is this two ways to accomplish the same thing?

configure port 2 vlan default limit-learning 1 action blackhole
vs

Right now I have mac-locking on, but how do I maintain that. Lets say I replace or move a device. Unconfigure mac-locking says invalid input detected at marker.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Kjstech,

You can remove that command by using the following:

"configure port 2 vlan default unlimited-learning"

In order to configure this and not have the action as "stop-learning" you will have to choose an option:

configure port 2 vlan default limit-learning 1 action blackhole
GTM-P2G8KFN