cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need 2 untagged vlans on one port.

Need 2 untagged vlans on one port.

Sandra_Smith
New Contributor
I have an wireless access point that has 2 different VLANs. One for secured wireless and one for public. In setting this up, I need to configure an port that will allow 2 untagged VLANs on one port. On my 3com switch, I did this with using an hybrid port. I have not been able to configure this using my extreme network switch which is an X440-48t. Any suggestions???
7 REPLIES 7

Jason_Parker
Contributor
Please note:
I was looking at a number of sites for feedback and this was one:
While it is possible to have more than one untagged VLAN on a port, this is typically not done. It's easy for a switch to egress multiple VLANs untagged, it would not know what to do with the ingress traffic as the VLAN it originated from would be indeterminable. Tagging traffic is how you tell devices on the other end which VLAN the traffic should belong to. When traffic is untagged a non VLAN-aware device such as a PC will typically default to the native VLAN. You are correct that a VLAN-aware device such as the SG200-08 will need additional configuration. Any ports on the switch you wish to use for specific VLAN traffic must be tagged for those VLANs. This document from the Cisco Small Business Knowledge Base may be of use to you in configuring this.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=67844b99e2da4a7f88db0c588197487d_Creating_VLANs_...

The option that was provided by Stephanie was a another option for you to give it a try. I will 🙂

Jason_Parker
Contributor
Another customer I am working with is using 2 products on a SecureStack and uses option 156 for the phone and only 1 vlan on the port (VLAN 1).
It is working during slow times but it may be causing an issue when heavy traffic is involved.
Jason

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
You can set mac-based vlan to allow several untagged vlans on a port. Traffic will be segregated based on the mac address.

Michael_Geliche
New Contributor
I have a different application that requires two untagged vlans on a single port.

I have an IP phone with a pass thru connector to a PC. On my cisco device I have two vlans assigned on the physical port the phone connect to. And this functions well. You mean that Extreem Doesn't support this. Oh my... This will put you in the back seat when sites start to reduce the number of ports at the desktop...

Michael
GTM-P2G8KFN