cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

No MAC address sticker on device that I can see?? Where is it supposed to be?

No MAC address sticker on device that I can see?? Where is it supposed to be?

JTHAZLEH
New Contributor
I am trying to log in to a summit x430-24t to configure it and am following the documentation but the last 2 characters do not log me in to the switch through the management port. I am pulling an IP of 169.254.126.248. I tried logging in using http://0xa9fe (and (and every last 4 characters and numbers from every sticker set on the switch) as well as https:// and then tried using the ip and converting everything from hex to numeric. nothing has worked.

Is it possible that the sticker is not the correct one? is there a way to confirm the mac address of the device.
12 REPLIES 12

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
This is true only if the switch has 15.7 installed on it already.
Here's some more info on the new 15.7 feature called Zero Touch Provisioning.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hi, Daniel!

Thank you for clarification.
But JTHAZLEH write that his PC is getting 169.254.126.248, but not a switch )))

dflouret
Extreme Employee
AlexandrP,

Just to clarify, in EXOS v15.7 a switch with no configuration (factory default) will try to get an IP address from a DHCP server. If it can't find one, it will use its link-local address (169.254.xxx.xxx).

Unfortunately, switches still come out of the factory with older versions of EXOS so Drew's reccommendations still apply.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
PC taking own IP-address because there is no DHCP-server on switch.
Aslo on default there is no any IP-addresses on switch.

Drew say right thing - at first you have to connect to switch with console.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
It sounds like windows is giving you a link-local address by default, which the switch doesn't necessarily agree with.
Using the serial connection, you can manually configure an IP address on the mgmt VLAN, or just enable DHCP and get one from a dhcp server.

code:
enable dhcp vlan mgmt

OR
code:
configure mgmt ipaddress x.x.x.x/xx
configure iproute add default x.x.x.x vr vr-mgmt

GTM-P2G8KFN