cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM 10Gbps Optics - Safe or not?

OEM 10Gbps Optics - Safe or not?

Doug_Jaquays
New Contributor
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using OEM 10Gbps SFP+ optics? I'm guessing that any link issues will be met with a, "You aren't using a supported optic" response by support. Other than that, has anyone actually had any issues with compatibility/reliability/longevity? If it matters, we have a mixture of x460s, x670s and soon adding some x460-G2s.

The Extreme Networks branded optics at >$1000. The same model number (Minus the -EX suffix), Finisar branded optics are $180.

It's hard to justify spending >$1000 for a single optic when you can buy the same thing for <$200.
7 REPLIES 7

Doug_Jaquays
New Contributor
Thank you both for your quick responses! They both put a lot of my concern to rest.

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
Doug,

OEM optics either 1Gig or 10Gig generally will work fine... In practice stay away from cheap/cheap.. you wont have any issues with Finisar at least in my experience.

Bill

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hi, Doug!

We have a lot of experiense to work with non-original optics.
It's greate working with Extreme's switches.

There is only little problems with working 1G optic in X670 - but this problems need only configuration intervention and then work fine.

Also I had cases in TAC - сaseы did not deviate from the non-originsl optics, and engineers meticulously understand the issuescrupulously understand.

Thank you!
GTM-P2G8KFN