Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONIE vs EXOS image on switches

ONIE vs EXOS image on switches

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor II

Hi,

Within our environment we have mostly Extreme x670-G2 & x460-G2, and one x440-G2 switches deployed. We also have two x465 PoE switches. The x465 switches use the ONIE image, and the x670's and x460s use an XOS image.

My question is, can the x465 run XOS? I am hoping to standardize on one image if at all possible.

Thanks,
Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Yes, the x465 is an EXOS switch from the summit series family. Its still running EXOS. 

Check out the release notes.  pg 17

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/ExtremeXOS/32.5.1-Patch1-6/downloads/Extreme...

The x465, x695 and x590 run on a different hardware platform and need the Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) image.  But its the exact same EXOS version with the exact same family features and functions as EXOS.

You just need to take note that some features are platform depended.  And the x670G2 is limited to EXOS v31.X

But its still EXOS.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Yes, the x465 is an EXOS switch from the summit series family. Its still running EXOS. 

Check out the release notes.  pg 17

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/ExtremeXOS/32.5.1-Patch1-6/downloads/Extreme...

The x465, x695 and x590 run on a different hardware platform and need the Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) image.  But its the exact same EXOS version with the exact same family features and functions as EXOS.

You just need to take note that some features are platform depended.  And the x670G2 is limited to EXOS v31.X

But its still EXOS.

Thanks Paul, 

I think you answered my question. Yes, the command set is the same between onie-32.5.1.5-patch1-1.x86_64.xos, and summitX-32.5.1.5-patch1-1.xos, but the x465 requires the ONIE image, and the SummitX image will not work with this switch. This is correct, right?

Thanks for pointing out that the x670G2 uses an older image as well. I had noticed that myself reading the release notes the other day, and was kind of surprised about that. 

Yes.

In the past the same summit.xos images would work across different summit platforms.  If memory serves that same .XOS file could be installed on dozens of different EXOS switches. 

Its not true anymore.

with many of the new platforms the EXOS images are switch dependant.   So you MUST download the x465 image for the x465s.  Same for the 5520 and x590.  etc etc.....

when navigating the support site always download the image for the specific switch.

but to answer the original question.  Its still EXOS. 

GTM-P2G8KFN