cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Gregory_Krueger
New Contributor
I'm looking to see if anyone can give me a recommended configuration for the management port for a small network. I'm an automation engineer, so "part-time IT" and know enough basics about VLAN, routing etc. to get by with some suggestions. But I don't do enough of this stuff to really know a lot of good practices. We have a small network, just a single x440-24p switch, and I was wondering what good practice would be for configuring the management port. I'm planning to have 3 VLAN's on the switch, one will be for admins/engineers, and I'd like to be able to physically connect to that VLAN and also have access to the management interface as well (web based is what I plan to use mostly...after initial setup will mainly be using management port for monitoring/troubleshooting).

Should I just do interVLAN routing from my admin VLAN to the built-in default management VLAN. Or can I just connect via the switch IP in my admin VLAN and no need to route through the management port?

Any advice appreciated...

19 REPLIES 19

If the management port has a different MAC address from the switch, i.e. the VLAN interfaces, it should be possible to route from VR-Default to VR-Mgmt using a cable between a front port and the management port. That might be a workaround for https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/exos-specifiy-source-interface-for-sntp-downloa....

That should work since the mgmt port (eth0) has its own MAC address different from switch MAC.

I've my lab X430 connected that way - if I remember correctly I've done it because I've tested a inventory manager script that used the mgmt port IP and never changed the setup after the test.

Mgmt port connected to port#2, port#1 connected my main lab switch,

I'm able to ssh to the mgmt IP and manage the switch via EMC (same subnet).

I do not think connecting the management port to a front port of the same switch actually works. Have you tried this out?

FlƔvio_Soares
New Contributor
SO .. mgmt is only accessible by direct access to the port ?
GTM-P2G8KFN