cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant Core

Redundant Core

roy
New Contributor
We just bought a new Black Diamond 8810 (not my decision). I need connect it to the old 8810 and setup VRRP.

My question is: How do I physical connect the two? Should I use the ports on the MSM module? Do they make a module just for this purpose?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EtherMAN
Contributor III
First the ports on the MSM are only for out of band management so they can't pass normal traffic and you can't add vlans to them.

We have many dual 8810 set up a core aggregations but we use Mlag as all our services are layer 2 only. Best practice and advise is use at least two ports from two separate blades to connect you 8810's together.

Dual MSM's too . Make sure all your cards are from same class because the fabric will only use the lowest card specs so it does you no good to get 128 MSM along with some of the over subscription cards as the tables will still be only the lesser card.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_Rickard
New Contributor
If you have the daughterboards on the MSM you can use those for a LAGged link between the two. That gives you two 10G ports per chassis

EtherMAN
Contributor III
First the ports on the MSM are only for out of band management so they can't pass normal traffic and you can't add vlans to them.

We have many dual 8810 set up a core aggregations but we use Mlag as all our services are layer 2 only. Best practice and advise is use at least two ports from two separate blades to connect you 8810's together.

Dual MSM's too . Make sure all your cards are from same class because the fabric will only use the lowest card specs so it does you no good to get 128 MSM along with some of the over subscription cards as the tables will still be only the lesser card.
GTM-P2G8KFN