cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing stack member summi x460

replacing stack member summi x460

MooneyMIS
New Contributor II

Extreme provided me a replacement switch for my x460-48 because of a failing POE module. Replacement is a x460-48P with exos 16.2.2.4. Failing switch is same model with exos of 16.2.4.5.

The x460 is the second member of a two member stack. The other switch is a x440-24x showing to have exos of 16.2.4.5.

This is the core of my network so once it goes down, my internet options are limited in our rural area in terms of researching issues that might arise.

Can someone advise me as to the approach to replacing this switch? I am comfortable working with the CLI via telnet or hypertm (locally connected) in terms of commands. But not what all needs to be done prior to shutting down the x460 (or perhaps shutting down both members of the stack). For instance do I issue the command enable stack on the replacement switch prior to putting it in the stack.

12 REPLIES 12

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

You are correct the Mgmt-Port is in another VRF than the data ports.

Regards Stephan

MooneyMIS
New Contributor II

I will say I was being an idiot about the access through the management port. Thought I was supposed to do it serially via the serial to cat5 adapter provided. Built me a straight through cable, updated mgmt. with an ip address (doing this on my test switch) and gained connectivity. If I recall, the switch does not route traffic between the mgmt vlan and the other user vlans.

MooneyMIS
New Contributor II

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

On the X440 you need no serial console. You can login to the x440 via Management Port and can join the new switch.

Regards Stephan

MooneyMIS
New Contributor II

I am lucky, make that glad, that I am not dealing with a down environment. The POE outage was noted because a Meraki WAP went off-line. So my system is in tact. As such the X440-24x is the master (it has no serial port, just a management  port).

GTM-P2G8KFN