cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing between virtual routers

Routing between virtual routers

Frank
Contributor
I'd like to revisit the question of "how do I route between virtual routers". I'm in a managed datacenter environment and have 8806s, 480s, 460s. all running XOS 15.3 or higher.

Scenario: I have a dozen or so corporate-internal VLANs that are all connected to let's say "VR-Corp". Now, the problem is that I have a handful of colocated customers with their internal networks (private IP space) that we need to manage, so two or three of our corporate VLANs have to somehow get access to the customer VLANs.

I do not want to add those customer VLANs to our corporate VR. I'm not a big fan of ACLs that aren't straightforward, simple, and easily maintainable. VPN access to the customer is usually not an option, either.
I would much rather add all those customer VLANs to a "VR-Cust" and somehow route between the to VRs - that approach makes for a much simpler configuration on the respective VRs. At least I won't have to worry about routing protocols - just good old fashioned static routes will do just fine here 🙂

From previous discussions I do understand that I cannot do that "within" the switch. However, my 8806s do have a 48-port Ethernet blade, and my idea was to create one VLAN on each VR (different tags) that are the same IP network, assign one Ethernet port to each VLAN, and just patch them together with a short cable.

This, however, does not seem to work. The ports are up, but I can only ping the IP address that's on the VR that I set the context to, and not the other. The ports are up, the VRs are up, the VLANs are up, and they're still invisible to each other. I would assume that if it doesn't work over Ethernet, it won't work over fiber either.

I don't quite understand why it doesn't work - technically I'm leaving the switch out one port and come back in through another port.

If everything else fails, I can of course introduce my 480 into the mix and have it be the "router between the VRs" (or rather: the cross-connect VLANs)", but I would find that a somewhat less-than-elegant solution (to a less-than-elegant problem/requirement).

Thanks for your help!

Frank
8 REPLIES 8

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey Frank

Thanks for sharing this with the community as I am sure that it will help someone else down the road.

P

Frank
Contributor
Well, so far, it's "a learning experience" 🙂

Generating a new MAC via the VRID: doesn't work too well. Yes, I have a made-up MAC, and yes, it's unique, but the switch doesn't want to get tricked. I presume packets stays on L2 and don't want to get forced to L3, because the switch is just too smart.

Sumit's approach: I can't guarantee the presence of "200.1.1.2" on that network or on that switch, so I can't use it, and I can't use the VR's IP because I run into MAC issues again. Or at least I think that's why that failed.

I ended up using our 480s to act as an external router between virtual routers. So I have one network/vlan "vlan_test1" in "VR-Test1" (172.18.0.0/24) and a vlan "vlan_test2" in VR-Test2" (172.18.1.0/24), tag them both to the 480s.
On the 480 I have "VR-XCHANGE", with both vlans (test1 and test2)", ipforwarding enabled.

Since we're talking about two 8800s and two 480s (yay, VRRP!!!), I did accidentally assign the same VRID to the VR on the 8800s and the VR on the 480s. Bad bad bad idea, because all of a sudden they all thought they needed to be able to be redundant, but they saw different virtual IPs (Of course! One for the 480s, one for the 8800s) and freaked out. Changed the VRID on the 480s and voila! all is well!

Now I know what else VRIDs do, other than change the virtual MAC  I think, Paul, you mentioned that in another thread about VRRPs - thanks, saved me today.

It would be oh-so-nice if I could've just assigned MACs to ports and used a patch-cable, but I understand the design history/decision.

Thanks for everyone's input - and if I ever find another way to skin that cat, I'll be back in this thread 🙂

Frank
Contributor
Paul,

In the meantime, you can try to trick the system to enable such feature using a cable to directly connect two ports in two VRs, and using VRRP to generate a different mac.

I actually started out with both of my connected 8806s having both VLANs defined, both 8806s having the patch cable, and I configured VRRP on both the VRs - problem was that I was getting a bunch of "ignoring lower priority VRRP advertsising" notifications (quoted from memory) that I'm not used to get on other VRRPs, but that could've been because I didn't explicitely define "IP tracking", and it might have broadcasted to the entire network, seeing IPs on duplicate MACs and all that.

I might revisit that, though, "just because!" (and I'm 'tenacious'). I'll also give Sumit Tokle's idea a shot, but one VLAN has to be in a full VR (because of ospf).

Heck, if all else fails, we do have abusable 480s 😉

Thank you very much - I'll try things out and reply in here how it went.

Frank

Sumit_Tokle
Contributor
We do support below,

PC1-----switch------PC2

PC1:100.1.1.2/24
PC2:200.1.1.2/24

Configuration on switch:
create virtual-router vrf1 type vrf "VR-Default"virtual-router vrf1
configure vr "VR-Default" delete ports 7:8 7:9
create vlan v1
configure vlan v1 add ports 7:8