Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow ssh response on extreme switch

slow ssh response on extreme switch

Yves_Haslimann
New Contributor III
Hello,

I takes between 5 to 10 seconds until the SSH Login window appear, if I connect by SSH to the switch. I have the version 21.1.3.7 on the switches X440G2-48p-10G4 running. Do you have any idea, whats the reason for this?

Thanks, Yves

9 REPLIES 9

So your DNS is configured to reverse-resolve the IP address of the switch? You can check that in Unix/Linux via "dig -x ip.address" or in Windows with "nslookup ip.address" (and look at the last two lines, "Name" and "Address")

It's not really a DNS problem, it's that SSH has a problem if the reverse resolution fails.

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I have the same problem with all EXOS switches running 22.2.1.5. I had several open at GTAC cases, but they were never corrected or fixed. After the initial slow login, SSH response normally when running commands. I can post the verbose output from my SSH client later.

StephenW
Extreme Employee
I like both replies. Check DNS, and does it happen on all terminals. Are you saving the SSH Public key when connecting, or do you choose to download it each time?

Nicolas_Nguyen
Extreme Employee
Hello Yves,

Does it happen will all terminals (putty, secureCRT, etc...) ?

There was a SSH bug in the previous version (21.1.1 and 21.1.2) but it should be corrected in your version.

Regards,
Nicolas

Frank
Contributor
Hi,
my first guess would be: is your switch in DNS and can the IP be reverse-resolved by your workstation?

Frank
GTM-P2G8KFN