Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking/Connecting x440-24 and x440-48

Stacking/Connecting x440-24 and x440-48

Jason_Short
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm new to the Extreme range of devices and would like to ask for some advice on connecting 2 switches, 1 x440-48p and 1 x440-24p.

What are my options on the above?

Can I use the RJ45 ports as an uplink or must I use the copper/fibre ports on the right hand side of the switch?

In either solution do I need to configure the ports in any way?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

10 REPLIES 10

Bruce_Garlock
New Contributor II
I am getting ready to do this same job. Since the switch you are stacking with will loose it's config, what strategy do people use to keep downtime to an absolute minimum? When I have worked with HP and Cisco, I usually build my configs in notepad so I can copy/paste, put "no" in front of commands I need to take out, then copy/paste my final config in.

Since I will be doing this remotely, I'll obviously need OOB Mgmt of both switches as well. I'm going to have someone setup a laptop with WiFi, and have them get me right into the console ports.

The application where these two switches are located is an IDF, without that much traffic. Most of it is web based traffic, with the occasional PDF download. I doubt a 1Gb link would ever come close to being saturated, so I'm thinking I may just trunk port-1 on both switches, so there won't be any downtime.

I'd love to hear any ideas anyone has!

Nice! Thank you, Drew!

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Bruce, for what it's worth, there's a Python based stacking config converter on our GitHub page.
https://github.com/extremenetworks/ExtremeScripting/tree/master/EXOS/Python/non_stacking_config_conv...

It can run both on and off the switch to make it easier to review the changes made.

PARTHIBAN_CHINN
Contributor
Jason Stacking information is available in concepts guide. Note:software version must be same on switches.
GTM-P2G8KFN