cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summit x440 switch lost management access

Summit x440 switch lost management access

Bailey_AV
New Contributor

i have a summit x440 48p network switch on site with AVB unlocked for an audio system installation.

it was set to dhcp. today the power went out and after it came back on the AVB had stopped working and the switch no longer pulls an IP address from the DHCP pool, nor does it exist anywhere on my subnet.

i tried entering the console via putty with 2 different serial cables with no luck, i dont see anything at all nor is there any response to button presses. my serial cables dont have RTS/CTS but im not sure if that makes a difference.

i should note that general switching still works properly.

is there any way for me to figure out where the switch is, or maybe factory default it without access to the console / management interface?

5 REPLIES 5

FredrikB
Contributor II

All Extreme switches with the RJ45 connector for console uses the same cable as Juniper, HP, Huawei, Cisco, H3C, Dell and others. The settings should be 9600 8N1 with no flow control. Only the newer X870 (and X690 I think) uses a different speed, 115200 I think. Can you try the cable on any other device, Extreme or not? I’d suspect a cable or serial port issue (on the computer). The only serial problem I’ve seen with the serial port on Extreme switches was with getting into the Bootrom with Apple computers years ago. The Apples were repeating the keystrokes so slowly that the Bootrom thought it only saw one keystroke in the time frame it listened for multiple keystrokes.

I think you only need TX, RX and signal ground in the console cable, but the complete pinout is here:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-is-the-pinout-for-RJ-45-console-port-on-...

/Fredrik

Bailey_AV
New Contributor

i can now see the text in the console but putty wont allow me to type any letters into the terminal!

what am i missing?

Bailey_AV
New Contributor

Thank you, im pretty sure my db-9 adapters dont follow this pinout at all. a step in the right direction.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor

Hello!

As far as I remember - pinout is present in Summit Family Hardware Installation Guide.

Thank you!

GTM-P2G8KFN