Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Summit X450e' Admin account password forgot :(

'Summit X450e' Admin account password forgot :(

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 17 2012 6:33AM

Hi All,

We installed one Extreme Network's 'Summit X450e-48p' switch in our organization. Unfortunately, we forgot it's admin account password and we don't have any other account on this switch to work on it.

Anybody to guide us how to break admin account password for a Summit switch. We don't want factory reset. (from Rajesh_Panchal)
5 REPLIES 5

Robert_Styma
New Contributor
I inherited a number of X450e-p48 switches. I had to reset them back to factory defaults as I did not know the password. Here is the sequence of commands I used which seemed to work consistently.
Use the space bar to go into the bootrom.
Then "boot 3" to go into diag mode
From the "Slot1>" prompt, run "erase nvram"
From the "Slot1>" prompt, run "bcm"
From the "BCM.0>" prompt, run "clear all"
It should reboot. Let it come up. Wait till
the message "Authendication Service (AAA) on the master node is now available for login."
Then login with admin and no password. It will prompt you to update some setting and set the failsafe login and password. It will also suggest you set the admin password. Be sure to save to both the "pri" and "sec" databases.

Also, some of the inherited switches, which were out of maintenance, did not work. The fans would power up but the serial console would not do anything. Since the alternative was throwing them away, I opened them up. All the ones which did not work had the same problem. There is a daughter board which attaches to the main board by 3 screws. It holds the compact flash card. It also has a set of 6 1000microfarad electrolytic capacitors which were bad. The caps are cylindrical with an "X" cut into the top. You can tell they are bad because the top is bulged up. Replacing the caps with ones I got from Amazon got the switches up and running. Note that these switches are for a lab, not production.

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Oct 9 2012 8:08PM

1. Load to BootROM && type "config none" && "reboot" you will boot with default config
2. After all of this you can configure mgmt ip (DON'T SAVE CONFIG!!!!) && ls (there is your config with lost pass) && upload this congig to your tftp server
3. Open your config (xml mode, such as primary.cfg) in text editor find accounts tag and add line

adminVy730g$JV85BzeGoe1CBmX87ef0b011

this will add default admin account to your config (login:admin pass: 'enter(none)), save file and load to switch

4. use configuration 'name' && reboot
5. correct your accounts and politics

ENJOY (from pacan4ik1_pacan4ik1)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 18 2012 12:32PM

HelloHere's the menu from the bootrom.Press and hold the to enter the bootrom.BootRom > ? boot boot an image loader Sets which BootLoader BootStrap will boot reboot Reboot system (hard reset) show display information config select configuration enable enable features h on-line help help on-line help ? on-line help vers print version info eval evaluate and print result hi display command history date get/set date and time d display memory mt tests all available memory up to 2GB using 64 bit physical addresses dir list contents of CF directory cd change working CF directory pwd print working CF directory ping ping remote hostwdogdisable disable the watchdog configip configure the bootloader ip address showip show the configuration of the bootloader ip address download download an imageBootRom > config nonethere is no change password option. The bootrom is the way you factory default the switch as I have done above. There are only really two ways to reset the password without affecting the config. 1) call TAC and have a PC connected to the switch that they can control 2) set up a fail-safe password. A fail-safe password is your private backdoor into the switch in cases where you forget the password or if a person in charge of the network leaves and takes the password with them.The best approach to stopping this is to use a Radius server and allow each user to use their domain credentials to log in. Not only does it stop this issue it allows you to track and monitor changes to the switch on a per user basis.Hope that helps.P (from Paul_Russo)

EtherNation_Use
Contributor II
Create Date: Sep 18 2012 5:10AM

Thanks Prusso,

Factory reset will erase our switch configuration, which we don't want. We heard something about BootROM for resetting the admin account password. Do you know anything about it which can help us. (from Rajesh_Panchal)
GTM-P2G8KFN