cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging virtual-router vlans down the same physical port

Tagging virtual-router vlans down the same physical port

Robin_W
New Contributor
On a Cisco switch, I can have two VRFs with different VLANs tagged into each, but then both VLANs tagged on the same uplink port.

I've tried to find a way to do this on my Extreme switches, but am struggling as you have to add physical ports to a VR before adding a VLAN, and the switch won't allow me to add multiple VRs to a physical port. Is there a way to do this?

* L065-Core_10K.27 # configure vr test2 add ports 1:24
Error: Port 1:24 belongs to another vr test.

Surely part of the point of the virtual-router is to be able to segregate traffic coming into the router, and in the majority of cases, a router is only going to have one physical upstream connection to a WAN. I can't believe this wouldn't be supported, so I'm assuming my understanding is missing something?

We're currently running ExtremeXOS 12.5.4.5.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,
Rob.

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Robin

Unfortunately they are not interchangeable. The 460 has the ability to have two VIM modules where the 450 only has one so they are different sizes.

Sorry to keep being the source of bad news.

P

Robin_W
New Contributor
Paul,

In light of upgrading some 450s to 460s for VR support, are you aware whether the stacking and 10G modules are cross-compatible between the 450 and 460?

Thanks,
Robin.

Robin_W
New Contributor
Ouchie, was hoping that wasn't the case. Going to have to think of another way. Thanks Paul.

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey Robin

Yep sorry the 450a does not support the user defined VR. Information on the Licenses and what is supported in each is in Appendix A of the Concepts guide (in case you need to check later on)

This is the section on User defined VR

User-created Virtual Routers (VRs)
Virtual Router and Forwarding (VRF)
Summit X460, X480, X650, and X670 series
BlackDiamond 8000 c- and xl-series modules
E4G-200, E4G-400 and BX8 series

Hope that helps
P
GTM-P2G8KFN