cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging virtual-router vlans down the same physical port

Tagging virtual-router vlans down the same physical port

Robin_W
New Contributor
On a Cisco switch, I can have two VRFs with different VLANs tagged into each, but then both VLANs tagged on the same uplink port.

I've tried to find a way to do this on my Extreme switches, but am struggling as you have to add physical ports to a VR before adding a VLAN, and the switch won't allow me to add multiple VRs to a physical port. Is there a way to do this?

* L065-Core_10K.27 # configure vr test2 add ports 1:24
Error: Port 1:24 belongs to another vr test.

Surely part of the point of the virtual-router is to be able to segregate traffic coming into the router, and in the majority of cases, a router is only going to have one physical upstream connection to a WAN. I can't believe this wouldn't be supported, so I'm assuming my understanding is missing something?

We're currently running ExtremeXOS 12.5.4.5.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,
Rob.

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Rob

I think your issue is that you are still using vr-default. If you look in the concepts guide on page 661 of guide 15.4 ( sorry I didnt download the 12.5 guide it should be under virtual routers then configuration examples) it will explain the process. I was able to create two user VRs with two separate VLANS and add a port to both VLANs Tagged see below

Port: 1
Virtual-router: None
Type: UTP
Random Early drop: Unsupported
Admin state: Enabled with auto-speed sensing auto-duplex
Link State: Active, 100Mbps, full-duplex
Link Ups: 1 Last: Thu Feb 27 13:59:44 2014
Link Downs: 0 Last: --

VLAN cfg:
Name: test, 802.1Q Tag = 300, MAC-limit = No-limit, Virtual router: vr-test
Name: test2, 802.1Q Tag = 400, MAC-limit = No-limit, Virtual router: vr-paul
STP cfg:

Protocol:
Trunking: Load sharing is not enabled.

Let me know if you tried this or if my assumption is incorrect.

Thanks
P

GTM-P2G8KFN