cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To stack or not

To stack or not

nixcraft
New Contributor

Hi everybody. I’m designing an environment with two X440-G2 edge switches and two X620-16t rack switches for servers.

At first I thought that I’d create two separate stacks and connect the two with dual 10Gb links and LACP. But looks like I can also create a single stack that includes all four switches. They will be close enough that I could use the stock DAC cables. Then I wouldn’t even need the extra 10Gb licenses for the X440s.

What are the pros and cons of either option, if there are really anything noteworthy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Pros:

• simplier manageability
  • less licenses required for XMC (this will most possibly change in the future, but it seems that this isn’t really required here anyways)

Cons:

• the performance/features/limits are limited by the “weakest” switch in the stack. In your case this shouldn’t be an issue because X440G2 and X620 are quite similar. (See EXOS release notes → Limits)
  • When you upgrade the firmware the whole stack goes down. You can’t update the Edge-Switches without interrupting the connectivity between server (or between servers and storage when using iSCSI for example)

Personally I wouldn’t stack server- and core-switches, but in your case (small environment) it seems suitable.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

nixcraft
New Contributor

Thanks for that. I like the idea of separation as well for server and end-user switches. Less impact for the whole network during upgrades seems like good choice as well.

So perhaps I’ll go for two stacks, the 10Gb licenses for X440-G2 aren’t that much more price wise.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Pros:

• simplier manageability
  • less licenses required for XMC (this will most possibly change in the future, but it seems that this isn’t really required here anyways)

Cons:

• the performance/features/limits are limited by the “weakest” switch in the stack. In your case this shouldn’t be an issue because X440G2 and X620 are quite similar. (See EXOS release notes → Limits)
  • When you upgrade the firmware the whole stack goes down. You can’t update the Edge-Switches without interrupting the connectivity between server (or between servers and storage when using iSCSI for example)

Personally I wouldn’t stack server- and core-switches, but in your case (small environment) it seems suitable.

GTM-P2G8KFN