cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual XOS killing ESX host CPU

Virtual XOS killing ESX host CPU

Konstantin_Mikh
New Contributor
After initial install and configuration of the vSummit, VM stays at around 60-100Mhz host CPU usage but after about 3min sitting idle, CPU utilization jumps to 3GHz+ and in many cases maxes out Host CPU resources.

Extreme VM performance becomes sluggish and in many cases CLI freezes.

Tested on multiple hosts in the Datacenter with the same outcome.

No other VMs on the hosts (Linux, Windows, Juniper, Fortinet, Cisco, Checkpoint, Avaya) produce the same issue.

Anyone experienced this behavior and if yes, is there a fix/workaround for it?

Specs:

Extreme vXOS ver 16.1.2.14 - same issue with earlier releases.
VMWare vSphere 5.5 with latest patches.
CPU: Xeon 3.2GHz E3-v1225 - 4 Cores

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Try this:

configure elrp-client one-shot vlan-10 ports all print

Konstantin_Mikh
New Contributor
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have created a diagram to better visualize one of the segments in the topology. Please see below. I also did further testing and noticed that when I remove vlan 10 which is the only vlan that spans all 3 switches in VR-Default, CPU utilization goes to normal.

bdf7f6f90d274702abf973c7cb476391_RackMultipart20160125-6025-1km8bam-top_inline.jpg

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
The EXOS-VM doesn't have any BCM process 🙂
I just created a loop in a vSwitch on one of the EXOS VMs in the lab and saw mcmgr, fdb, and ksoftirqd/0 spike, but not nodemgr. As soon as I disabled one of the ports, all processes were back to normal.

Konstantin, if you can confirm there is no network loop, I might suggest re-creating the VM from scratch. Something may have not initialized properly.

OscarK
Extreme Employee
A loop would see process BCMrX high probably, but it could be a cause if you added some ports all connected to the same vSwitch and all in the same vlan in EXOS (vlan default for example).
Do you have added ports to the VM, how many ? Does EXOS see these ports ?

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Are you sure there is no loop?
Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN