cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXLAN or alternatives on XOS switches

VXLAN or alternatives on XOS switches

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hello, are we able to support VXLAN/NVGRE/STT or propose any alternative to VXLAN on Extreme switches, most likely BDX8?

Kind regards
Tomasz

9 REPLIES 9

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Regarding the BDX8 I had Sumit Tokle's words on my mind.

What I know for now is that the opportunity seems to be aiming at Arista 7500, regarding other requirements, like for a lot of 100GbE ports.
And there is a requirement of VXLAN GW at a switch. It'll be quite big network with 5 locations where it looks like BDXes will be kind of ToR, not a core.

Take care,
Tomasz

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Thank you for the answers, so I can assume that VXLAN will be in the near future on BDX8? Sounds great, I don't know why I couldn't locate that earlier in the DS.

If it will really come up with 16.2, I have no reason to ask for any alternative (despite - for a release date  ). That is exactly what one potential customer wants and needs. I don't know the exact purposes, VXLAN is mentioned in public tender specification.

Kind regards,
Tomasz

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
We do have switches that are VXLAN-ready in hardware, in the sense to behave as a hardware VTEP. The feature has not been enabled yet.

Of course, we can transport VXLAN traffic on any L3 switch, as this is IP.

As an alternative, the use case is important to understand to propose something clever. Typically, what is the problem you want to solve with VXLAN? Would that make sense to turn a Core switch into a VTEP, instead of an IP router?

Sumit_Tokle
Contributor
It will support from 16.2 software

Sumit_Tokle
Contributor
Yes, it does support VXLAN. But couln't able to locate the configuration guide for the same. Not sure if it's in future roadmaps

Few URL: http://www.extremenetworks.com/solving-the-vm-mobility-problem-across-multiple-data-centers-at-layer...

It's mentioned in BDX8 datasheet: http://learn.extremenetworks.com/rs/extreme/images/BlackDiamond-X8-DS.pdf

GTM-P2G8KFN