cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What VIM module works in a 5520 for both 1g and 10g?

What VIM module works in a 5520 for both 1g and 10g?

Keith9
Contributor III

We have multiple 5520 switches that have a VIM4-X module in.  The issue with this module is that it only passes IP traffic with 10GB SFP+ modules in them.  1GB SFP modules will link up but no IP traffic will go across the link.

I'm in a situation where  I need to order two more 48 port PoE switches for a new building project.  If I order 5520's again just to match what we mostly have, what kind of module do I need in the side that will work with BOTH 1G SFP AND 10G SFP+ modules?  Or do I have to step down to a 450G2/460G2 (when is EOL on that anyway?)

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We don’t have access to change the settings in isp handoff devices, like Ciena, ADVA, MRV, etc.  

I placed an order for 2 48port poe 5520’s dual 1100w power supplies and each with the VIM-4XE.

The newer VIM is stated to work with such network staples like auto negotiation, a networking feature we’ve taken for granted for the last 25 years. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Keith9
Contributor III

I found an Extreme article here saying the VIM-4XE does work for auto-negotiation.  I'm going back to my reseller and having them requote my order with two 48 port poe dual power supply switches but with VIM-4XE instead and the Premier license for our dynamic routing.

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000095764&q=vim-4xe

Quote:

Cause

The 5520-VIM-4X does not support auto-negotiation at 1Gb, while the VIM-4XE does (due to the different hardware design).
While the link may come up at 1Gb on the VIM-4X, the other side most likely is down or up at a different speed or with auto-on, and due to this mismatch no traffic is transferred, and therefore no MAC addresses are being learned.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

if you turned auto-neg off on the Ciena side it should come up. 

We don’t have access to change the settings in isp handoff devices, like Ciena, ADVA, MRV, etc.  

I placed an order for 2 48port poe 5520’s dual 1100w power supplies and each with the VIM-4XE.

The newer VIM is stated to work with such network staples like auto negotiation, a networking feature we’ve taken for granted for the last 25 years. 

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

This shouldn't be a problem.  The 5520-VIM-4X supports both 1GE & 10GE operation at the same time.  

Its only the 5520-VIM-4Y that only supports 10GE or 25GE.

When using 1G SFPs optics in 10GE SPF+ ports you need to take auto-negotiation into consideration. I do not know off the top of my head if the 5520-VIM-4X's have a PHY or are PHY-less.  

Forcing 1GE should fix the issue.

On the 5520 VIM port try disabling auto-neg.  Then repeat on the uplink port on the downstream port on the neighbouring switch. 

This problem is not unqiue to Extreme.  This is common for anyone that uses Broadcom PHYless chipsets.

regarding the 450g2 and 460g2 end of sale.  You will need to check the Life cycle website.

https://www.extremenetworks.com/support/end-of-sale-and-end-of-support-products/

if memory serves all the x400 g2 series went end of sale recently or are close to end of sale.   Which means they will be End of Life in 5 years from the end of sale date. 

GTM-P2G8KFN